aodo123

Hatching
Apr 12, 2022
Hi my hen is a Rhode Island Red and is only just over a year old. Yesterday she stood around the garden and wouldn’t move but I didn’t think much of it. She usually has a problem laying every so often because she lays double yolks and is always fine. But today was worse. She has stood in the garden and not moved, won’t eat or drink unless it is forcefully given to her. She hasn’t laid in 2/3 days and hasn’t gone to the toilet either. I’ve checked for lice and nothing, checked her pipe and nothing seems wrong. Her stomach is EXTREMELY swollen and she keeps shaking and almost falling over. She just wants to sleep has fallen asleep mid walking all day. I have bathed her to try to get rid of anything and her butt keeps pulsing. What do you think is the problem and how can I fix it?

Have you checked to see if she is egg bound? To do this apply some Vaseline or lubricant around the vent, using gloves, gently insert your finger inside the vent to see if you can feel an egg. If she is egg bound, you can give a human calcium with vitamin D tablet, or a Tums if that is all you have. That can help the muscle contractions to expel the egg. Then place her in a shallow sink of Epsom salts and warm water, leave her there for 20 minutes and try to keep her calm. Maybe @azygous @Wyorp Rock @aart or @LaFleche can advise you best on the problems you are having with your hen, It could be something completely different. Good luck

Poor baby. She is definitely blocked. I would try soaking her in warm water to relax the muscles and see if it helps her pass the egg or whatever is blocking her. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom