What’s wrong with this baby?

Newchickey

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Hatched Monday, received in Tuesday with 18 others. This one. Is tiny. 36 hrs ago saw she will stumble, has hard time getting back up. Runs backwards but can also go forwards. This morning the bubble at crop area showed up. Comes running out from heat plate, (in extra brooder with a friend). Will willingly drink from a soda cap if I hold it in front of her a yolk slurry. Have nutridrench and giving it and extra vitamin e. Don’t know what else to do.

Attachments

• DA3522A0-0587-4DAE-9C34-9C02664F1DB9.jpeg
    DA3522A0-0587-4DAE-9C34-9C02664F1DB9.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 5
Oh boy - I barely have the stomach for it, but if it was me, Id considering culling that little honey.

I cant find the article anymore, but there is an excellent one on here on humane, and stomachable chick culling. Ill see if I can find it - if anyone else sees this and knows of the article. It is by a gentlemen who runs an animal cremation biz and uses a dish soap container and ether.

I never kill any of my animals, I will hospice and stay with them every moment.

Hatching incomplete is what failure-to-thrive is about. These chicks hatch with incompletely developed organs. They have immature livers and can't metabolize calories, so they don't grow and have a hard time staying warm. By week two, they often start having trouble with constipation because of incompletely developed digestive systems. Most die by age two weeks. Others may survive but are half the size of others of their breed. They often have problems as adults if they survive that long.

The bubble could be the thoracic air sac enlarged and pushing against the thin skin.

Hatching incomplete is what failure-to-thrive is about. These chicks hatch with incompletely developed organs. They have immature livers and can't metabolize calories, so they don't grow and have a hard time staying warm. By week two, they often start having trouble with constipation because of incompletely developed digestive systems. Most die by age two weeks. Others may survive but are half the size of others of their breed. They often have problems as adults if they survive that long.

The bubble could be the thoracic air sac enlarged and pushing against the thin skin.
Always grateful for your thorough responses.

I thought failure to thrive was strictly behavioral, or emotional - like stress or where a chick just lacked the motivation to live. Good to learn something new.

Back
Top Bottom