What’s your ducks favorite treat?

Apr 27, 2020
I have some ducks and we are training them to go in at night by giving them treats. But we keep running out of meal worms! And there so expensive! So I need something a little less expensive that my ducks will love. Hope fully you can help!

I have some ducks and we are training them to go in at night by giving them treats. But we keep running out of meal worms! And there so expensive! So I need something a little less expensive that my ducks will love. Hope fully you can help!
mealworms are mine’s favorites, but they also live peas, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon, apple, banana, carrot, grape, sunflower seeds, oats, and more!

Where do you buy your mealworms? You can get them online for a lot cheaper than the pet store. I use rainbow mealworms and get 2,000 (live) for $10. You can also get other bugs. Mealworms are also really easy to raise at home if you’re interested in that

I mix a couple of handfulls of cat food with the mealworm treats. Helps stretch it out a bit.

This may sound weird but I've hung our Christmas tree horizontally in my duck run and I like to scatter the mealworms right on that old brown crispy tree. I was going to take it down and burn it but it keeps them busy picking and digging around in the tree and they like to nap under it.
IMG_1802.JPG

Frozen peas (thawed) - they'll go nuts but not as nuts as mealworms.

Anything that wriggles on the ground is a good bet.

Clover and dandelion greens or lettuce are good but probably won't entice them.

For training you could keep food inside for night time and tell them to go to bed in the evening at lockup. After a few weeks they'll get the idea and you can go back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom