What age can chicks start eating treats?

I start my chicks on baby grit at one week of age. After three days I start giving them dried meal worms and other treats, in small quantities. I like to give them a bit of my homemade yogurt to charge their bellies with probiotics. Maybe a little spaghetti with sauce so they won't be scared of worms. Whatever I give them, it will be very small portions, just to introduce new tastes. It's most important they get their nutrition from their bagged feed so I don't want to fill their bellies with "junk" food, even if it is nutritious.

Because all my chicks are broody raised, they start eating 'treats' or as the mother hen calls it, proper food, from about 3 days old.
She will take them foriging, and in spring find so many bugs and seeds that they hardly eat any chick starter at all.
I am not recommending you try and feed them like that, because you are not a hen, and the brooder isn't a woodland; so it would probably end in disaster.
But as long as they have grit, I would start giving them very small amounts of treats from a week old.
Don't over think it to much.
Other people might prefer to play it safer, this is just how I do things.

Because all my chicks are broody raised, they start eating 'treats' or as the mother hen calls it, proper food, from about 3 days old.
She will take them foriging, and in spring find so many bugs and seeds that they hardly eat any chick starter at all.
I am not recommending you try and feed them like that, because you are not a hen, and the brooder isn't a woodland; so it would probably end in disaster.
But as long as they have grit, I would start giving them very small amounts of treats from a week old.
Don't over think it to much.
Other people might prefer to play it safer, this is just how I do things.
This makes good sense too.

Back
Top Bottom