What age did your hens lay their first egg?

Hey guys! I just got my first egg!!

Not sure who did it but the barred rock (pepper) been squatting a lot and chattering a lot and she stopped talking after we found the egg they are 19 weeks old today

We got our first egg Saturday and another one slightly smaller today. My golden sex links are 18 weeks and a day or two. I've got pretty stubby fingers so it's a pretty small egg. :)

Last edited:
So far we have 3 pullets laying, one started at 18 weeks, one at 19 weeks and one at 20 weeks! lol Abigail indeed was the first one to give us an egg! :D followed by Jessie our california white who is strangely only laying rubber eggs now after a week or so of normal ones...

So far we have 3 pullets laying, one started at 18 weeks, one at 19 weeks and one at 20 weeks! lol Abigail indeed was the first one to give us an egg! :D followed by Jessie our california white who is strangely only laying rubber eggs now after a week or so of normal ones...

Do you mean soft shell eggs or actual rubbery eggs?

My wyandottes and ameraucanas are now over 27 weeks old and still haven't given me any eggs...they've looked really close for several weeks, but still nothing. Anyone with wyandottes or ams wanna share when they got their first eggs? Pretty please?

My wyandottes and ameraucanas are now over 27 weeks old and still haven't given me any eggs...they've looked really close for several weeks, but still nothing. Anyone with wyandottes or ams wanna share when they got their first eggs? Pretty please?

I have both, Wyandottes got theirs @19 wks & Ameraucanas (got 3) got their eggs @20-24 wks

I have 6 golden sex links myself that are about 13 weeks old.  I haven't noticed any squatting or any extra vocalization, but I check for an egg every day out of optimism.  :)  When do you start giving them oyster shell?  I still have their next boxes boarded up so they don't poop in there, should I uncover those and get them ready? I'm a first timer also.  I've only got one so far who likes to be petted, the rest either run or peck the crap out of me.
it says on oyster shell bag to start at 18 wks to offer this. 16 wks start layer feed. I wouldn't ever board nesting boxes as they can go in there and investigate it for themselves and become comfortable in there, even our girls who aren't laying yet go in and take a peek. Our first layer-golden comet-surprised us at day before 18 wks and laid in the nesting box. Even before adding the ceramic eggs! Only had 2 EE and 1 black Australorp drop an egg oUT of nesting boxes. I add nesting herbs as well and they love it.

Back
Top Bottom