what age do they become "started" chicks?

Hi!
I think the hatcheries claim 17-20 week chicks are "started". However, I would personally think younger could be "started" maybe even 14 weeks. Point of Lay is about the same as "started" in my book- 17-24 weeks. I guess to be honest in the ad, you could simply put the age...
Good Luck!
Christina

Since chicks are most fragile in their first few weeks, they are still just chicks to me. I call them "started" around 4-8 weeks because they are past their most fragile period. "Well started" meaning fully feathered around 8-14 weeks. And "point of lay" around 16-20 weeks.

I haven't found any firm definitions on what age "started" is. Anywhere from 2-4 weeks old at a minimum, usually. Some people want started chicks that are past the most fragile age. Some people want started birds that are fully feathered. So, started birds are sold at different ages.

Once they are old enough to be called "point of lay" I would use that term. Some people are looking for a started bird that is just about to lay.

I think your best bet is to mention the age of the chicks, since "started" covers such a wide range of ages.

Back
Top Bottom