What age to introduce new chickens to existing flock?

Very good thread. I just have to say I'm in the middle of integrating the next generation of three to two older girls and I do not recommend it for the average surburban back yard crazy chicken lady. Unless you have two runs and two coops for a month or so it's 6 weeks of wrangling at bed time and trying to get the little ones to know where their coop is, and actually go into it, with a grouchy old gal inhabiting it. I'm now just removing old bitchy-pants to the pen in the dining room at around 5pm so we can have a little peace at bed time and the little ones will go in. I may need to remove the Wyandott permanently if she doesn't take a chill pill as I don't want to deal with it much longer.

Very good thread.  I just have to say I'm in the middle of integrating the next generation of three to two older girls and I do not recommend it for the average surburban back yard crazy chicken lady.  Unless you have two runs and two coops for a month or so it's 6 weeks of wrangling at bed time and trying to get the little ones to know where their coop is, and actually go into it, with a grouchy old gal inhabiting it.  I'm now just removing old bitchy-pants to the pen in the dining room at around 5pm so we can have a little peace at bed time and the little ones will go in.  I may need to remove the Wyandott permanently if she doesn't take a chill pill as I don't want to deal with it much longer.  

Old bitchy pants! Got me laughing. I've got one of those too! Parks herself right in their doorway!

Thanks for the advice! This has been a lovely adventure....even my hubby has enjoyed the chickens - they are so joyous about life! Wish all people could be that way...(except when it comes to the pecking order thing.)

VERY COOL COOP -- economical! I am assuming you are in a warm all year round location and that the predators are few?
I live in the city limits of a rural mountain community, we have plenty of wildlife, including bear just last night....our coop has to be "bear proof".

Currently I have 5 three year old chickens out in my pen. four weeks ago I had gotten 4 new chicks to add to my flock. I was wondering when I can move them into the coop with the others. Or should I start letting them see each other. ?

Currently I have 5 three year old chickens out in my pen. four weeks ago I had gotten 4 new chicks to add to my flock. I was wondering when I can move them into the coop with the others. Or should I start letting them see each other. ?
Short answer is....... 3 year olds will most likely beat the crap out of 4 week olds, maybe even kill them.

Long answer, lots of variables but......Maybe read this whole thread....and your questions will be answered! :)
Lots of good advice already here.

I would put the babies in a pen next to the big girls to introduce for a few weeks...I did this and the transition was perfect! I added the chicks in at night and everyone acted like they've known each other for years! Good luck
1f604.png

I just incorporated my 4 month olds with my 1 year olds. they were separated in their own coop and run for at least 6 weeks. there is some pecking and kicking. when should I expect this to subside? the older ones are being a little food aggressive when I just brought some treats out there!

I just incorporated my 4 month olds with my 1 year olds. they were separated in their own coop and run for at least 6 weeks. there is some pecking and kicking. when should I expect this to subside? the older ones are being a little food aggressive when I just brought some treats out there!
I don't think that ever goes away....there's a pecking order always, it's usually pretty subtle......I see it happen then change all the time, they know what they're doing.
It's interesting to observe if we can refrain from anthropomorphizing their behaviors.

I spread the treats out all over the run or coop, so everyone has a chance to get some goodies.

Well last night I just transferred 2 hen ee's and a roo Seabright. to my tractor with 7 birds,2 russian orloff, 2 lakenvelder,2 waynedotte,1 spangled hamberg. there now is 10 total in the tractor. Transferred close to 2am, when I woke up and went to check on things about 6:30am, to find one of the ee's with her head sticking outside the tractor and Lil blood on her comb. The other 2 didn't come down from the roost.so I fed them and gave water in the roosting box. I will admit that I knew Little about chickens before starting this 4 months ago; after alot of hours on the Internet. Wikipedia, feathersite, and of course BYC! And a Lil help from 2 books (storey's guide to raising chickens and the chicken health handbook) I feel much more knowledgeable about things, but still scratching the surface! I definitely was one of the impulse buyers that got a few chicks, then got more without the place to put them. Now up to 22 chickens and 5 ducks. So getting back to the thread, reasons for moving are too many in the 1 tractor, 2 many roo's in the tractor, the EE's are too big for the rest of the birds. On day one after moving the 3 Lil chickens are scared to come down, 1 got a Lil beat up. hopeing tomorrow goes more peaceful! Here are some pics of the tractors they where nothing more than line drawings before I started all this . They were a lot of fun building and designing , soo many more ideas not enough money to buy supplies! The 2 chicken tractors are 4'x4'x12' and the duck tractor is 4 ' x 2 ' x 12'

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom