What age to let chicks out?

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have 2 one week old chicks. At what age can I let them go outside for a while, and how long for?
In the day time the temp has been 50/60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same...mine are 4 days old. Will try a wander with mother hen at end of weekend.

If they have been raised by a momma, then I'd suggest letting her make the decisions as to when and where to take her little ones. I let my mother hens make the choice and they usually leads them out of the coop on day 2, and I'm sure she will be happy to get out and have a dust bath and stretch her legs.

The quicker you toughen them, the quicker the feathers come in....Have a heat source they can either get away from, or get too if chilled...I live in Alberta Canada and my Chicks live in the coop from day five with a heat lamp to get under if chilled....
Little chicks are fragile but know how to huddle near heat....

Cheers....

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I took the dog kennel they have been in with mom out into the larger pen area yesterday at day 5. A warm sunny day of 20 degrees C here in NSW Australia, 10 C overnight though and mine keep warm under moms wings. Opened the door and mom came out, chickens followed her everywhere. She had a dust bath and the chicks learned quickly to hop out of the way when the dust flew. She went around scratching the dirt and chicks followed her and pecked at food I also added for them. My two other hens an Iza Brown and an Australorp came to eat with them and seemed to get along fine.
Finishing off a predator proof (snake in pen area) enclosure within large pen today so they can come and go at will.

Back
Top Bottom