What age to use eggs?

drdoct

Songster
Feb 7, 2022
Griffin, GA
We're interested in raising chicks from our girls, but am curious if there is a certain amount of time to wait before trying this? Right now, they have only been laying a few weeks and still waiting on the eggs to get up to normal size. Rooster has been doing his thing all the time any time every time. Is there a rule of thumb with how old a hen is before trying to hatch eggs? Assuming Rooster is fertile that is.

We're interested in raising chicks from our girls, but am curious if there is a certain amount of time to wait before trying this? Right now, they have only been laying a few weeks and still waiting on the eggs to get up to normal size. Rooster has been doing his thing all the time any time every time. Is there a rule of thumb with how old a hen is before trying to hatch eggs? Assuming Rooster is fertile that is.
Lots of people start incubating eggs a month or 2 after they start laying but I found to have problems with pullet eggs so I wait till they are a year old before incubating. What breed are your chickens? Mine are Silkies so they start laying later then other breeds too.

Back
Top Bottom