What am I in for?

You know, we were all newbies at one time. If you get a book like Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens or Living with Chickens and just read it, you'll be fine. They need warmth, fresh water, proper chick starter and protection from drafts and predators. You'll do fine.

Kings, I'm sure you're doing a great job. You're asking questions and listening to advice... That is the first step to becoming a great chicken owner.
Have you posted pics of your little flock yet?

Use a shop vac to help you clean the inside of the container where they are kept. Be careful not to suck one up with the vac as they scoot about. Keep the shop vac emptied regularly and kept outside as it will begin to smell. Also, while they are feathering out (growing) be thinking of where outside they will be kept. Think of how to continue the lighting for warmth on them outside. I got some in the back of the garage now and can't wait until they feather completely out so that I can move them outside to a brooder pen. I will have it lighted for warmth for the chicks for quite some time yet. I always recommend two lights when placed outside as you never know when one may burn out. Good luck! It is an experience! I hope a good one for you. It is a lot of work and fun too. Johnny

Last edited:
I had 15 chicks in a closed spare room for only 2 days before I couldn't stand the smell in the rest of the house. Out to the garage they went.

I have had my 20 baby chicks in a cage in my room for a week and a half. I change their pine shavings daily and have never had a problem with odor.

I have the storeys guide checked out from the library now. Im one of those people who need to have all the info I can before I start something.

I've read several books on chickens and one on guineas, but it doesnt compare to this message board. Its great! I love the pictures and reading about everyones experiences. Im looking forward to the week two pictures from all of you who have posted day one and week one.

The books dont cover exactlly what to expect for those of us who want to have 25 chicks living in the house. So thanks everyone!

Quote:
Four weeks till they arive!
big_smile.png
They are comming from MurryMcmurray the week of April 19th.

Heres the breakdown....

BAR BARRED ROCKS Females
Quantity: 3

PAR PARTRIDGE ROCKS Females
Quantity: 4

ARA ARAUCANAS Females
Quantity: 1

SLW SILVER LACED WYANDOTTES Females

BLA BLACK AUSTRALORPS Females

DLW DELAWARE - Females

BUO BUFF ORPINGTONS Females

SPS SPECKELED SUSSEX Females
Quantity: 4

PARTRIDGE ROCKS Males
Quantity: 1

Last edited:
I hope I don't get shot down for my response but I want to keep it real. As for being a first timer I think you are starting out with way to many birds. There will be a good chance you will probably end up with a rooster in the bunch. I would advise a coop fast. You can keep them in plastic bins with a heat lamp. Chicks grow fast and if they are all crowded together for long they can go to start pecking at each other. Your birds will probably enjoy this nice spring weather we will be having soon. Go and buy Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens FAST. I found this book to be the bible to chickens. I wish you luck and keep us posted ok.

I hope your wrong about too many birds.
hmm.png
I am hoping for three roosters in the group. I ordered one on purpose and I am hoping for two more in the group by chance. In the Storeys Guide it says that if you have two roosters they might spend a lot of time fighting, but three or more get along much better. I also read that one rooster should due well with 8 hens, so 3 roosters and 23 hens should work out.

I had kept a few babies inside (5 one time and 3 another time) that were hatched by hens outside when the weather was turning off cool (my daughter thought they needed to be inside) and it was not a really big smelly mess at all... BUT when I hatched out 16 in the incubator and kept them inside for 5 weeks it was amazing how much DUST they could generate in a few hours! The biggest problem came when cleaning the box out... the flapping wings spread the dust and although I never noticed it flying around in the air it settled all over the room! Smell was not a problem things were kept clean but the dust was simply amazing! The pleasure of watching them grow was worth the dusting though and I will surely do it again!

Back
Top Bottom