What Am I?

NWChicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Granite Falls, WA
I bought this little girl at our local Farm & Feed and I'm not sure what she is. They told me she was a Gold Sex-Link but looking at her feathering and comparing her to other GSL's I'm not sure they were correct. I'm wondering if someone put a different bird in that bin and I got something else. I have no experience with this breed and she'd be from one of the large hatcheries (I know they use Privett, Cackle and McMurray among others.) Thanks for any insight you can give.

The first pic she's a couple of days old.

50190_img_5912.jpg

The second pic was from today at about 4 weeks.

50190_img_6403.jpg

Quote:
50190_img_6408.jpg

50190_img_6412.jpg

According to their records (gotta love Facebook!) they did get a shipment of Rhode Island Reds the same day as the GSL's. Would a RIR be the same as a Production Red? I currently have a New Hampshire Red hen and she definitely looked different as a little chick so I don't want to assume they're all the same!

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50190_img_6408.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/50190_img_6412.jpg

According to their records (gotta love Facebook!) they did get a shipment of Rhode Island Reds the same day as the GSL's. Would a RIR be the same as a Production Red? I currently have a New Hampshire Red hen and she definitely looked different as a little chick so I don't want to assume they're all the same!

Nope not the same head! She is purdy though!!!!
smile.png

usually RIRs from a hatchery are considered production reds.. They aren't really as dark as the heritage RIR. But you can't go wrong with a PR. They are GREAT layers! And that ones looks like a pullet to me!

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded! I was suspecting her of being a Red and I'm totally fine with that. She seems very sweet and I love her already.
love.gif
I know they have a rep. of being good layers but to the grown hens have a good temperament?

The PR I had were very docile, they were also brave and did not scare easy. This made working around them a real pleasure, no frantic hens flying around while I'm cleaning the coop.

Back
Top Bottom