what am I?

mightymax

Songster
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Coast, CA
Hi there. I just got this parrot and the person didn't know anything about it, including what type it is. Strange, I know. But that's one reason I have the bird now and she doesn't...
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could take a look a the pictures below and help me determine exactly what type of parrot he/she is.
All responses are appreciated.
My thought is that he looks a lot like a Meyer's parrot, perhaps even a Meyer's crossed with a Senegal, IDK. Any help with what sex he/she is would also be tremendously appreciated.
Thanks!

Just saw this...

Because of the color and thickness of his/her bill, lack of yellow around his/her wrists, and overall less 'vibrant' and intense greens, this little fella reads as a Brown-Headed Parrot, Poicephalus cryptoxanthus. In the same family as Senegals and Meyer's parrots, but a different species. They are not nearly as common as the other species, so it is strange that the person you got him from didn't know anything about him! Usually (not always of course) people that get less common parrot species as pets go looking for them specifically.

Do you know his age?

Unfortunately Brown-Headed parrots are not sexually dimorphic. There is no way to know the sex visually, unless he/she does something that only one sex does (such as laying an egg, or other such behaviors) or by having a DNA text run. They usually aren't too expensive.

Do you know anything at all about this little one? Age or anything?

Sometimes you can track the band number to the breeder, and contact them to find out hatch date....

Here is a page about Brown-Headed Parrots to get you started. http://beautyofbirds.com/brownheadedparrots.html

Back
Top Bottom