What Are Good Treats For Baby Chicks?

The do need chick grit before feeding them anything other than their starter feed. I read somewhere that they also like green grass, so when I go out to my new little flock, I throw a handfull of grass that I've just pulled up from the ground, they do seem to love it. Definitely crickets if you can catch them! They go nuts when a fly or gnat happens by.

The do need chick grit before feeding them anything other than their starter feed.  I read somewhere that they also like green grass, so when I go out to my new little flock, I throw a handfull of grass that I've just pulled up from the ground, they do seem to love it.   Definitely crickets if you can catch them!  They go nuts when a fly or gnat happens by.

Why Do they Need Chick Grit At First?! And Thanks For The Information :) .

They need grit first because the grit helps them grind up the scraps and treats. If you give it to them after the treats, it wont do too much for them because they have already started to digest it.

Mine seem to love fresh spinach. I tear up little pieces into strips (sort of) and they just grab at it until it pulls apart into a bite that they like the size of. Sometimes they run around with a bigger piece if they can grab it away fast enough. Then there's sort of a spinach-free-for-all. They also like some of the small spring lettuce leaves especially the frisse (sp?) and the arugula. So far I haven't gotten enthusiastic reviews on the mashed egg. Oh yeah, and they also seem to like sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (which I've run through the food processor to break up a bit) and any creepy thing they can find during their outside times. I wonder when it will be safe to feed them seeds whole -- WITH grit, obviously -- anybody know?

Last edited:
You can feed them whole seeds when they move from the chick grit to the poultry grit. Poultry grit can be the size of a pea. If they can eat that then they can eat seeds.

Ohhh I almost forgot, they love papaya. My Motherinlaw has a huge coop of organic raised layers . They go crazy for Papaya split in half and leafy greens. They grow great in the chicken coop as well, with a wire cage around to protect them till they get bigger as well as banana trees :)

weeds and grasses with the roots--and dirt--still attached are great fun too. Mine are going crazy over a coconut half as we speak too.

Back
Top Bottom