What are some causes for twisted toes

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
In my last 2 hatches I've had chicks with twisted toes. Last year I didn't have any. I switched to an Ecoglow brooder that I love but I wonder if it is hot enough for them. But lack of heat doesn't make since since the room they are in now is hot for me so I'm sure the brooder is hot enough. Some of these last chicks had a hard hatch but seem to be doing well. What am I missing? They get chick started and water. I have not given them electrolytes just because water was easier with them away from home. Any thoughts?

http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2012/02/29/crooked-toes/

There are crooked toes and there are curled toes. Make sure you know which one you are dealing with (see article). Crooked toes can be from incubation or genetics. Curled toes are from a vit. deficiency from what I have read.

Thank you ChickensAreSweet (love the name). The first hatch's crooked toes happened when I moved them out into the garage. I had a heat lamp, dog heating pad and my ecoglow brooder but it was cold, very cold. It was just the little ones that ended up with twisted toes.

This second hatch was at a nursing home and both heat and low humidity were the problem.

I guess there were different problems for each hatch. If I hatch away from home again I'll have to get a different incubator.

Thanks again. That is a load off my mind.

Back
Top Bottom