What are some fun, basic duck facts? (For presentation)

Orca5094

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Sweden
Hi everyone! I'm putting together a Power Point Presentation on ducks for my Swedish class. We are all still just learning Swedish so I need to keep the presentation simple, but would also like to keep it interesting and entertaining. I'd like to share my love of ducks with my fellow classmates. :)

What kinds of things would you include in such a presentation? I've got info about their lifespan, how many different species there are, what they eat, and how their plumage changes for breeding season. What else should I put in there? I'd love to have some funny and more creative info in there as well if possible.

Thanks for any help/ideas! ^-^

I would recommend putting something about how most domesticated ducks are mallard derived , make a point of how the muscovy is one that was formed as a domesticated duck independently and isolated from those that were mallard derived . Something along those lines.

I'm putting some fun pictures in if you want to use them:

Ducks in a row (I really understood the saying after watching my ducks!)

Ducks are very flexible!

My ducks are not really pets—they are working ducks. I started 5 years ago with ducks due to a grasshopper invasion. While you can kill grasshoppers with insecticides (some natural, some not), if everyone in the area does not do the same, you have to keep treating. So, I bought 3 ducks. They were very good at eating the grasshoppers so I have continued to keep ducks, changing breeds periodically, for insect control. The fact that they are amusing doesn't hurt either.

That only females 'quack' - gets my friends talking/asking duck questions every time (especially when I point out that the AFLAC duck 'appears' the be male, yet quacks like a female!)

Cheers'

Dan

That only females 'quack' - gets my friends talking/asking duck questions every time (especially when I point out that the AFLAC duck 'appears' the be male, yet quacks like a female!)

Cheers'

Dan
Good point, Dan. The AFAC duck does seem to be male!

With muscovies, the males hiss and the females coo (or trill—something like that). However, as has been noted on this forum, the females can "quack" when under duress, such as when objecting to being caught for a wing clipping or just being caught if that's not what they want!

You could put in a blurb about call ducks! I find them fascinating because, much like bulldogs, their original, historical purpose is obsolete and so people have switched tactics and bred them to be something completely different: namely, cute and docile. You don't often think of ducks as purely ornamental, and yet we have call ducks, a breed that doesn't lay eggs, is too small for meat, all it is is a great companion animal.

...Also they look adorable in costumes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom