What are some great kids' party ideas?

Sitka

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
Would love to hear creative, simple, and fun party ideas for kids ages 8 to 12. One thing I have thought of is making their own invitations. My wife suggested making a pinata. Any other ideas for games, contests, party favors, etc.? that the "host" kids will enjoy preparing and the kids at the party will enjoy, too? Theme parties?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Boys? Girls? Mix?
smile.png

There are two really fun things you can do:

1) Theme party - a favorite character or game. All the kids that come dress to represent one of the characters.

2) A costume party. Kids that age love to dress up in costumes and have a wild time.

When my son was young I did sdtheme parties every year. He would pick out a favorite movie or subjecdt and we would make everything for the party from that subject. One of his favorties was Rescurers down under. We made a huge pinata that was shaped like a golden eagle, all the games where taken from different events in the movie. We even did a scavenger hunt to hunt for the golden eagle feather. We made centerpieces, party favors etc. He still remembers those parties, makes me feel like I did a good thing. It was alot of work but we all had fun. Oh yeah we sent away and go alot of things from Oriental Trading they have tons of party stuff that is reasonable.

We've done pirate themed parties with maps and treasure and pirate skill games like plank walking and mast (tree)climbing. We've also done treasure hunts, and scavenger hunts. We've done games like catching water balloons, flying paper airplanes, three legged races, egg races etc. Other friends have done Amazing Race type parties. The kids said we had the best parties and we were compeating with laser tag, mini-golf, movies, and arcades.

We've done overnights with movies, and make your own pizza and cupcakes.

sorry about the spelling, I'm stupid tired and can't be bothered to look stuff up.

You can PM me if you want specifics on how to have a Lego themed party or a Spongebob Squarepants party.

Suzy

A letterboxing or geocaching party/adventure. You can find info at letterboxing.org or geocaching.com. VERY popular with my boys and their friends (girl and boy) at that age, and even older.

Unusual, and fun for adults too. I used to do a yearly week-long "fun class" at my kid's school with letterboxing. Just make sure you go find the caches or boxes ahead of time to make sure they are still there. Consider making a "birthday box" for your kids and hiding it, posting the clues online, and go back next year to see how many cachers/boxers have found it. So cool.

I've always had kids do a craft during the party and then they get to take it home instead of a goody bag. I don't do goody bags past 8 years old. Goody bags to me are for little kids who don't understand about gift giving.

A few of the most memorable ones were

painted T shirts.

melt and pour soap

soap balls

Felting soap is something that is fun - we haven't done it at a party yet, but last mother's day weekend my daughter had a friend over and I had them do this and then the friend had a nice soap to take home to her mum.

Back
Top Bottom