What are some of the best hatcheries to buy chicks at?

Peggysaurus

Songster
Sep 24, 2019
Spotsylvania, Virginia
Hello again, BYC! I'm planning on buy chicks next spring and I'm not sure which hatcheries have the best reputation with hatching chicks. When I first got my five Plymouth Rock chickens, I got them all from my local Tractor Supply and I did the same thing with my Sapphire Gems. I wanted to try something new, so I had the idea to get my next chicks from a hatchery. Do you guys know any good, reliable hatcheries? Thanks, BYC!

My current flock of 16 mixed large breed hens and 16 mixed Bantam hens came from Cackle Hatchery and they have been very hardy and productive birds. Before that, I had ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery several times over the years beginning in 1975 and never had any issues with their birds either. I would recommend either of them.

I have used Meyer Hatchery with good results, I would use them again. But like anything else,you will hear good and bad about all hatcheries so I would go with whichever has the breeds you want and the shipping options you need. Meyer has been very easy to work with and I have not personally had a bad experience with them.

I have used Meyer Hatchery with good results, I would use them again. But like anything else,you will hear good and bad about all hatcheries so I would go with whichever has the breeds you want and the shipping options you need. Meyer has been very easy to work with and I have not personally had a bad experience with them.
Ditto, I've had good results with them.

I've had good luck with many of the major hatcheries - McMurray, Cackle, Meyer and Ideal. There were no losses in any shipments from the first 2, and only one or 2 losses in shipments from the last 2. Birds from all of them did well. One side note on Cackle is they have a 3 chick minimum per breed if you want something in particular. If you aren't fussy they have a variety of assortments.

My healthiest chicks have been ones I pick up in person.

We got a shipment from Meyer -all arrived dead likely due to USPS mishandling. We picked up some chicks at Meyer, and all were healthy. We got a batch of chicks from Sandhill Preservation in Iowa and paid for Express shipping- they arrived within 17 hours, but still needed recovery time and three had leg issues, possibly exacerbated by shipping, and three died in the first week. We’ve picked up from Eagle Nest hatchery in person on 4 occasions and have always had healthy, vigorous chicks. So, if you can pick up in person, that is great. If you need to get them shipped, then plan to have electrolyte water, plain water, and draft-free warmth ready and waiting when they arrive.

You can peruse NPIP website for NPIP breeders/hatcheries near you. Just search by state -there is a pictorial map on their website you can click on your state which brings up a document with names and addresses. Maybe you’ll find a hatchery near you you can drive to.

You can google map “hatcheries near me” and may come up with results too.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom