What are the benefits of having a rooster in your flock?

The only reason you need a rooster is if you want fertile eggs. Anything else is personal preference. Since we are all different we all have different preferences and experiences.

Each rooster is an individual, they don’t all act the same way. There is a whole lot of debate in here whether that is learned or inherited. I think a lot of it is both.

Some roosters will defend their flock with their life. Mine tend to lead the flock to safety when a threat is identified, not put themselves between the risk and the flock. But they are really good watchdogs, always looking for danger. They are good at sounding the alarm. If there is something suspicious going on but they are not sure, they normally position themselves between the flock and the unknown, even going to investigate. Some are better at this than others. They do add some to security, some a lot more than others.

To do his job the rooster has to be the unquestioned flock master. Unless the hens respect him and accept his dominance, he cannot break up fights and keep peace in the flock, keep eggs fertile, they might not listen to him when he does find them food or even warn of danger. Some roosters have a strong dominant personality that demands and receives respect from the hens, others don’t. I find the ones that are less self-confident and less sure of themselves tend to be more brutal to the hens because the only way they can gain respect is by physical force. I also think the less self-confident roosters are more likely to become human aggressive because they are more likely to be nervous or unsure of themselves.

The hens play a part in this too. Some hens will squat for anything in spurs while others won’t accept any rooster as their master. Most hens and most roosters work all this out when they mature but some individual chickens can really disrupt the peace of the flock. There is some luck involved. A flock with mature good roosters and mature good hens is really peaceful but just one bad chicken, male or female, can disrupt flock dynamics.

Some roosters become human aggressive, some don’t. Some may be OK with you but if someone else shows up to take care of them when you are out of town, they may be attacked. Some roosters may not really be attacking the human but go after a certain pair of shoes or a certain color of pants. Some roosters are fine, no matter what.

Kids are more vulnerable. Part of that is that they are smaller so their eyes are more at a danger level. Part of it is that they tend to move quickly or with jerky movements and can do things that are perceived as a threat to the flock. They don’t walk, they run. People have been keeping free ranging flocks with roosters on small farms for thousands of years. The kids are normally the ones that gather eggs and do other chores around the flock. It’s normally not a problem, but things do happen when you deal with living animals. If a kid is attacked that rooster is generally eaten and another rooster brought in.

Roosters are normally the prettiest chicken you have. Some people really like the sound of a rooster crowing, some really hate that. When they are chicks the males normally have a lot more personality than the females. They are generally your favorites if you interact with the chicks. With a lot of them, the instincts to check things out kicks in pretty early. That’s why they have personality.

If you don’t have a rooster one of the hens will be the flock master. Sometimes these dominant hens take on a whole lot of the duties of the rooster, breaking up fights, keeping peace in her flock, watching for danger, all that. Sometimes you may not even be sure which one is dominant because the master hen is so laid back. Each chicken is a unique individual and each flock has its own dynamics.

I do think you need more space if you add a rooster than with an all-hen flock. There are certain flock dynamics that work better. If you have multiple roosters like One Chick Two, it becomes critical.

If you are not used to it or are seeing it for the first time, normal chicken mating can appear quite brutal. Especially bad is when you have an adolescent flock. The males tend to mature before the females and hormones are running wild and out of control. The pullets have not matured enough to do their part, the cockerels have not learned technique or control and have not matured enough to have the self-confidence it takes to win respect. Chicken mating, especially involving adolescents, is not for the faint of heart. Sometimes, not often but sometimes, chickens can be injured. This is another time that extra room is really good.

Some people would not dream of a flock without a rooster, others don’t want anything to do with a rooster. We all have different goals, experiences, and set-ups. It comes down to a personal choice. If you do decide to try a rooster, it may work out great or you may need a plan B.

Good luck!

We were given a rooster about a year ago - my son wanted him for protection when the flock is out free ranging. He is an excellent protector and provider. If he finds a delicacy he will call the girls over and give it to them. Very cute.

He is an excellent baby-maker! When we have a broody orpington we place a dozen or so fertilized eggs under her and have had two hatchings so far. So much easier to let the momma hen do EVERYTHING when it comes to raising the chicks - including the bottom cleaning
tongue.png
. We have a small separate brooding coop in the run where the momma hen sits on the eggs and will hang out and care for the chicks until they can be integrated into the flock at about 8-10 weeks (when they are too big to squeeze through the run fence).

Both hatching populations are now producing eggs. Beautiful healthy chickens.

He does crow...starting at about 5 am and periodically through the day. No problem where we are and we like the "music".

Lastly - he is such a handsome devil - and I do believe he knows it!

Bottom line - having a rooster has been a big benefit for us.
I would highly recommend getting one if you want to bring order to your flock and increase the size of your flock. BTW - the chicks that were roosters made for excellent soup (when they became of age to butcher).
wink.png

Last edited:
Well roosters are very nice about protecting there hens. My rooster was good about protecting his hens but he sure didn't like people. He attacked my whole family daily. But on the other hand i know very nice roosters to. If your rooster is still young and just make sure to hold it and give him love every day then you got a good rooster.
Good luck!
frow.gif

Can you give me an explanation of that? But birth defects are NOT a common occurrence as a result?

No. They are not humans or dogs. Look up linebreeding. It would take to long to explain it.
Inbreeding occurs in many animal species in the wild. Good strong genetics survive with the help of nature, only the strong survive. In breeding chickens domestically we must play the role of nature and cull, and not breed inferior or defective birds. Proper linebreeding can strengthen a breeds good qualities.

I love my roosters. They take excellent care of the ladies. They are so beautiful and funny to watch. :lau. They are my pets and I treat them as if they were. They act like dogs come when called. Roosters are just amazing.. I love coming home from work and being greated by my ladies and gentlemen..

Pros: Early warning device. Provides a lot of entertainment: Roos are much more vocal, and almost speak a different language than the limited vocalizations of the females. A good roo will dance for the ladies, show them treats and let them eat first, take care of his chicks, show the girls where to nest, and accompany them to/from the nest, break up hen fights.
Cons: Noisy. Roos crow... a LOT. Their crowing usually starts an hour before sunrise. Roos can wear the feathers off the backs of their hens. You need to manage their spurs, and keep them trimmed. Can show aggression to hens they don't like. Can't be depended upon to take on predators. A poorly trained roo, or one who is simply a genetic moron can be human or chicken aggressive. They are noisy. They crow... a LOT.

Don't hatch any eggs, either from your own flock, or from an other flock unless: you have the room to brood them, and provide housing for the ones you want to keep. (and you will find a reason to want to keep most of them, because they will all be superior specimens of chickendom) And unless you have an exit plan for the approximately 60% of roos that will result, and unless you are capable of culling any defective chicks that result from your hatch.

Back
Top Bottom