what are the best brody hens

Don't laugh !
If I pee the bed I'm calling you to come change the sheets !
cool.png

Quote:
I don't have experience with those, but I have heard they are good broodies. But silkies top them all.

Well Trouble I had with silkies , they don't always return to the right nest, so eggs get cold....but they are setting machines, easy to work with also'

Still think nothing can beat gamehens. trouble with gamehens, you can't be worried about a few pecking marks on your hands...
lol.png

My gamehens will keep setting for months and months if nothing hatch, reason I use them to incubate eggs, any type ,peafowl,turkey,duck,geese, and etc. With my peafowl eggs they are set under broodies the first week,then in the incubators, so they set thru the peafowl breeding season , then hatch out a clutch of game chicks at the end.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just curious, how long is the peafowl breeding season?

I've never had Silkies but hopefully have them and bantam Cochins in the 'bator. Both should be good broodies.

I had game hen broodies years ago, good protective mommas but boy do they hurt when you mess with them!
A big game hen was my first ever broodie as a new chicken owner... I was a little slow realizing why she was sitting on the nest... put my hand out towards her and was pecked so hard it bled!
th.gif
I didn't mess with them after that, just moved them at night to the broody coop, gave them their eggs and stayed well away and let them get on with it. lol

about 4 months here.....oh yes those game sure hurt, but i don't care , i just protect the eggs with my hand, or they can hit the egg., i know with the game hens , bet a rat wouldn't try and take an egg
lol.png

yes both of those are great broodies too. lot easier to work with too.

for those worry about hens being broodie so long .lot less stress than laying egg 7 days a week, mine get off and eat everyday.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have 10 of them and they NEVER go broody.
barnie.gif
What is with that anyways????

I would consider yourself lucky. When 14 buff orps go broody I'm not a happy person.

My silkies went broody before they even started to lay. They are absolutely adamant about it. Gave one of em some eggs to hach and she is insanely sitting on those eggs. Someone on BYC once said that "a silkie will try to hatch a bowling ball if you let 'em" and I believe that to be true!

Back
Top Bottom