What are the best broody geese breeds?

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Alaska
I have "potluck" from Holderreads and am trying to plan who gets to stay and who gets to grow out for freezer camp.

I think I have African, Toulouse, Emden, Tuffted Roman, and one other female that I haven't figured out. For Males I have an Emden and one unknown guy.

So, in your experince who would make the best mommies?

Out of that list, going by temperament... I'd say Embden, Tufted Roman, and Toulouse.

Freezer camp? That is so sad!
I couldn't imagine eating that LOL I am a total wuss, though.

I'd probably say Romans, then Embdens and Toulouse last - especially if they're Dewlaps! The Embdens are good but the heavy breeds can be a little clumsy with eggs when they're inexperienced.

Nice that you got them Holderread - I love their Embdens
big_smile.png

Pete
wink.png

So I guess the Africans would not be great broodies due to size and clumbsiness. Is that right?

So if my goal is to keep breeds that will be a nice size when dresses out, what would make a nice cross?

The Embden male is huge (almost twice twice the size of the little girl). She is about the size of the Tuffted Roman. Should there be this big of a discrepancy between genders? It is a bit hard to get good pictures as we are not trying to handle them much. The friendliest are the Africans and the Dewlap Toulouse. We call her Tubby, and the name suits her! The Africans are always talking.

Any goose can be a good mama and broody, I've not heard of any particular breed that is not broody. I think the suggestions given are based on temperament. Africans tend to be a bit more aggressive, especially if they are hand-raised. Not to mention they are pretty loud and obnoxious. Just pick the breed you like the most and keep that one, honestly you can't go wrong.
smile.png

Thanks y'all!! My DD has fallen in love with the Buff African and I think the Toulouse is a doll. I guess I am thinking I need to keep the larger breeds since my goal is meat production.

Back
Top Bottom