What are the most common myths/misconceptions about chickens & eggs?

CreativeCowgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
I want to make a post on my blog to debunk all the most common myths and misconceptions about chickens. What are some that you have encountered? I'm planning on starting with all the funny things people thing about fertile/non fertile eggs, and egg color. What are some other good topics to cover? Ever had any bad experiences with people who just didn't know anything about chickens? What are some basic things you wish you could tell non chicken people about chickens?

Many, many people think that hens need roosters in order to lay eggs. Another one I hear often is that the blood spot on the yolk means the egg is fertile and the blood is the embryo. A friend of mine argued with me until I asked him why battery farm eggs sometimes have blood spots in them (that slipped through). They sure as heck don't have roosters in the cages...

I'll post more as I think of them, but I heard some funny ones over the years.

As said the classic would be needing a rooster to get eggs, I notice a lot seem to feel chickens are nasty, I mean it seems "everyone" has a story about being attacked, not saying that hasn't happened just generally speaking I don't think chickens are like that, I have found mine quite personal able ... Genuine pet potential.

Thought of one, chickens don't fly lol okay perhaps not as good as my ducks but there is for sure some flight capability there ....

Also people thinking scratch and bread is enough food for their hens and then complaining that their hens don't lay.

This is about general chicken keeping, but if you do not have a farm you can't have chickens
roll.png

Until I raised my on chickens, I always thought chickens were brainless and personality-less. While not rocket scientiest, I've found my chickens charming and varied in their personalities. And they come more quickly when called than either my dogs or my children.

Back
Top Bottom