What are the quality names for a chicken?

Silkiebegins

Songster
Mar 22, 2024
So I've been wondering what are the quality names for a chicken. I know there is standard and someone else told me a term too. So are there any other names? How would it be used? For example, somebody told me my silkies were terms so would that be called a silkie bantam term?

Hatchery quality - birds with somewhat of a resemblance to the standard.

Breeder quality - birds not quite good enough to show but with enough good traits to be utilized in the breeding pen.

Show quality - birds close enough to SOP to do well at shows.

So I've been wondering what are the quality names for a chicken. I know there is standard and someone else told me a term too. So are there any other names? How would it be used? For example, somebody told me my silkies were terms so would that be called a silkie bantam term?
Bantam means a small chicken. Standard can mean a big chicken (not a bantam.) Standard can also mean several other things, as other posters have said.

Silkie is the name of a breed.
The Silkie breed has several color varieties: White, Black, Buff, Partridge, and some others.
The Silkie breed only officially comes in bantam size in the USA. In some other countries, Silkies come in both bantam (small) and standard (large) sizes.

People sometimes talk about "silkie feathers," meaning the kind of feathers found in Silkie chickens. That kind of feathers can also be found in some mixed-breed chickens that are not actual Silkies (not the breed).

Hatchery quality - birds with somewhat of a resemblance to the standard.

Breeder quality - birds not quite good enough to show but with enough good traits to be utilized in the breeding pen.

Show quality - birds close enough to SOP to do well at shows.
Then what's a term?

Bantam means a small chicken. Standard can mean a big chicken (not a bantam.) Standard can also mean several other things, as other posters have said.

Silkie is the name of a breed.
The Silkie breed has several color varieties: White, Black, Buff, Partridge, and some others.
The Silkie breed only officially comes in bantam size in the USA. In some other countries, Silkies come in both bantam (small) and standard (large) sizes.

People sometimes talk about "silkie feathers," meaning the kind of feathers found in Silkie chickens. That kind of feathers can also be found in some mixed-breed chickens that are not actual Silkies (not the breed).
I know about silkies but I had asked about what quality are my silkies in the past and they said a term. But I have no idea what that is.

I know about silkies but I had asked about what quality are my silkies in the past and they said a term. But I have no idea what that is.
Probably "pet quality."

When hatching silkie eggs we bought from someone else that look pretty fancy, unless they say, "show quality" they probably aren't hatchery breeds necessarily, so given @sourland's post, I'd say breeder quality.

But when someone advertises eggs and says, "Show quality," to me that means they are vaulted, bearded, 5 toes, black skin (depending on variation), and turquoise/blue earlobes.

Feather types can be silkie (fuzzy), satin (smooth), or frizzled.

Just for fun I'm gonna post pictures of my chicken and can you tell me the quality of them.

Attachments

• 20240510_182420.jpg
    20240510_182420.jpg
    915.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240510_182549.jpg
    20240510_182549.jpg
    935.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240510_182438.jpg
    20240510_182438.jpg
    970.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240405_162449.jpg
    20240405_162449.jpg