What are the the best meat birds that grow up to 5 lbs or 6 lbs .

Quote:
Holy big bird!!! are you sure it wasnt part turkey? LOL

LOL thats what the wife and I said, looked like the small turkeys we buy.
That was the smallest of the three!

I wasn't refering to Cornish X just what most folks THINK are DP birds or other LF, CX are different and can only be purchased through hatcheries. I was talking about those little bio's they put next to the breed pic in their little hatchery books that say RIR get to 8lbs LOL. Hatcheries killed the true meaning of the DP bird in the sense it used to be before 1950's, heritage birds are the fit for this now as they are still raised and bred by good breeders and best represent the SOP standard for the breed.

Quote:
I see, thanks for the reply.
I got Buff Orpingtons for DP from one of the big hatcheries, I'm hoping to do well with them.
I hope this isn't a thread drift, should be all good info for chicken crazed 1o1

You can do Ok with those hatchery BO's if fed correctly for the table, but they are traditional late bloomers like the JG's and most wyndottes. If these DP's are bound for the freezer from the git go, Higher protein conditioner and some vit-a-supplements of some kind do help put on better quality weight faster. Since BO's have all that fluff which most take for size you may want to put your hands on the bird weekly to better judge how their coming along. You can expect a 3-4 dressed carcass at around 26 wks.

Quote:
lau.gif

Made me laugh.

Last edited:
Quote:
Dang! What are the stats on that bird? Age? Rooster? What were you feeding? Kept in a tractor? Which hatchery did you purchase from? Inquiring minds want to know!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom