What are we? Blue Rock?

May 13, 2020
SW Ohio
So, I ordered 6 chicks. 4 RIR, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Blue Rock...
We ended up with a "bonus chick".
I was told that it was also a Blue Rock due to the others being easily identifiable(RIR and BO).
Now, I am not only questioning the bonus chick but also my original, sold as a Blue Rock!
I am completely new to this breed. Daughter's pic. LOL
I keep researching and googling for more info.
The actual hatchery's website states it is a cross of a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Blue Andalusian
I am finding terms throughout like
Production product, color spillage, not true breed, barnyard mutt, and that Blue Rocks have yellow feet!
Either way, we love them. They aren't for breeding or show so it isn't a matter of quality in that aspect.
Just sheer curiosity. I don't want to share or post false info and I will be sharing pics! LOL
Any help, advice? What are these girls?
Thanks so much!
20200411_110116.jpg
20200513_141442.jpg
20200513_141425.jpg

Is it the yellow feet that is confusing you on what they are? Many of the blue varieties have blue legs. Andalusion very much so. You have to look at the bottom of feet to determine color. They look yellow to me.

The black bird could be what they call "Blue Plymouth Rock". If they crossed Plymouth with Andalusion then the offspring are 50/50 blue and black. What bothers me about this naming is there is an actual variety of Plymouth Rock that is blue. These are not them and that name should not be used for them. Actual Blue Plymouth rock would have yellow legs and be better body type to standard of Plymouth Rock.

Is it the yellow feet that is confusing you on what they are? Many of the blue varieties have blue legs. Andalusion very much so. You have to look at the bottom of feet to determine color. They look yellow to me.

The black bird could be what they call "Blue Plymouth Rock". If they crossed Plymouth with Andalusion then the offspring are 50/50 blue and black. What bothers me about this naming is there is an actual variety of Plymouth Rock that is blue. These are not them and that name should not be used for them. Actual Blue Plymouth rock would have yellow legs and be better body type to standard of Plymouth Rock.
I guess that mostly what is throwing me off on determining their breed. Mine definitely have the grey legs but the hatchery pic of them and what I have read, all say a "true Blue Rock" have to have the yellow legs and feet. Again, I am just trying to get as much info and determine breed as not to lie or mislead anyone in the future or if I am asked.
Thank you again
P.S. I also never knew there was a Blue Andalusian! Great to know!

It's just Andalusion. It's the breed that was basis for all blue variety breeds.

What the hatcheries are selling as "Blue Plymouth Rocks" are not a breed. They are a hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom