What are we? Feather legged purebred something from TSC.

And I've been calling this guy girl big Bertha because it looks like a hen...I hatched her out of a brahma mix egg. That's why she has feathered feet. But no one in the coop likes her so it makes me wonder of it's a male
Maybe Bert would be better. Otherwise he might have an identity crisis. It's a cockerel, probably Brahma crossed with Cuckoo Marans as parents.

This is my roo. Idk what breed his is. Supposedly andalusian or BCM he is showing some copper now in his neck. He's almost a year old
He could be a hatchery quality blue copper Marans. Normally they have much more red in the hackles, saddle area and shoulders. So he could be an olive egger instead. Marans are often used to make olive eggers.

He could be a hatchery quality blue copper Marans. Normally they have much more red in the hackles, saddle area and shoulders. So he could be an olive egger instead. Marans are often used to make olive eggers.
Hmm. I sure do wonder. It's a conundrum

This is my roo. Idk what breed his is. Supposedly andalusian or BCM he is showing some copper now in his neck. He's almost a year old

Andalusians should have white earlobes. Your bird has red earlobes.
Andalusians should not have any copper in their necks.
So he is definitely not a GOOD Andalusian (whether the hatchery thinks he is an Andalusian is another question. Maybe.)

But Blue Copper Marans are supposed to have much more copper than that, so he is not a GOOD one of them either.

Overall, I feel that his body shape looks more like an Andalusian, so I would guess that is what he is supposed to be.

If you breed him and raise some daughters, you might be able to figure it out from the egg colors. Andalusian should produce daughters that lay light-colored eggs (white, cream, light brown, blue, light green, depending on what genes they inherit from their mothers.) Marans should produce daughters that lay darker eggs (medium brown through to dark brown, or green to olive, depending on what genes their mothers had.) Of course you could get a bunch of medium-toned eggs and still be wondering ;)

Andalusians should have white earlobes. Your bird has red earlobes.
Andalusians should not have any copper in their necks.
So he is definitely not a GOOD Andalusian (whether the hatchery thinks he is an Andalusian is another question. Maybe.)

But Blue Copper Marans are supposed to have much more copper than that, so he is not a GOOD one of them either.

Overall, I feel that his body shape looks more like an Andalusian, so I would guess that is what he is supposed to be.

If you breed him and raise some daughters, you might be able to figure it out from the egg colors. Andalusian should produce daughters that lay light-colored eggs (white, cream, light brown, blue, light green, depending on what genes they inherit from their mothers.) Marans should produce daughters that lay darker eggs (medium brown through to dark brown, or green to olive, depending on what genes their mothers had.) Of course you could get a bunch of medium-toned eggs and still be wondering ;)
That'd be my luck lol thank you

Back
Top Bottom