What are you adding to your flock this year?

Adding a lot this year! Our flock got super small. Down to a couple of EEs, one "grandma" hen that we love, and a surprise clutch that hatched last fall of EE/Silkie cross. This year I've ordered:
Yokohamas (Silver Duckwing and Red Shouldered) (new breeding program, woohoo!),
Mottled Houdans,
and an assortment of Marans, Saphire Gems, Olive Eggers, and Easter Eggers.
I may also get my hands on some Lavender Orpingtons (fingers crossed)
What hatchery?

I have slightly lost my ever-loving mind, I think. I just got an Opal legbar (Violet) and a Split legbar (Daisy) chick. They are happily chirping in their brooder in our living room. Next week 9 Double Laced Silver Barnevelder chicks are arriving. I plan to keep 2 and have a few friends lined up to purchase the others. I have half a dozen Swedish flower fertile eggs and half a dozen Ice Cream Bar fertile eggs coming in a few weeks. I plan to keep a few of each if they hatch out okay. It will be my first time hatching so no telling how that will go.
5591596A-D2D0-49DC-AEB0-9C3C0F9E1C88.jpeg

Current flock: 14
2 RIR hens - Lucy and Phoenix
1 Rusty the buff orpington rooster.
2BO hens - Mary Poopins, Hoodini Red
2 White laced Wyandotte hens - Snuggles 1 and 2
2 White Brahma hens : Cruella and Angel
1 Dominant Copper Hen - Rambo (lived through heat, cold, and a puppy accidently killing it's siblings).
4 rescues: blue saphire, turkin, two unknowns.

Adding more than I should!
Incubated 7 buff orpington RIR backyard cross. Got three black pullets ??? IDK why) and 3 pullets with RIR markings. One buff cockerel was a velociraptor in his past life so he got rehomed. Funny how one bugger stresses the flock.
Got 5 RIR pullets from jinks/coastal. They are deep dark rust colors and im so excited to see them feather out. Im sure they are production reds. Fine by me. They are super sweet and very healthy

Heres where I got impulsive …. Got 12 novagens to hatch from Jinks. Not sure why I did that. I dont want a Novagen Roo??? Should have just picked up pullets. Might call to see if we can change the order.

That puts me at 36 birds (first time ive done the math here lol) I clearly have an obsession.

Also building a 4th coop for meat birds… maybe lol i just love them so and cant commit to butcher them lol

Already dreaming of next year. I love the copper maran eggs and consider adding a few. Id like to maybe add a few Bresse to the flock.
Maybe get a White Rhode island breed quality Roo and hatch some sexlinked chicks. Not sure yet.

Maybe add a broody mom so hatching is easier. Im addicted and need a chicken recovery group. You people are a bad influence 😆
That third picture is awesome!!!

Let’s see, since January we have hatched 6 leghorns, 3 australorp, 12 buff Orpington; we’ve had 20 New Hampshire arrive as well as 2 barred rock, 5 brown leghorn, and 4 Easter Eggers. Later this year in May we have 3 Whiting True Blue arriving then this fall we will be hatching some WTB/Leghorn crosses. We will be hatching out two small batches of New Hampshires early summer and also hatching out NH as often as my NH hens want to go broody (which I’m hoping is frequently).

This year i’m adding a rooster, (crossing my fingers) It’s an Lavender Americanruanas easter egger he’s about 14 weeks now, I have separated him from the main flock ( it’s a hospital/jail/attitude adjuster pen!
The hens have been merciless to him they have made it obvious they do not like him, especially two red stars the llast hens i added last year… they cornered the little rooster and tore out feathers and a large chunk of skin in his rear, near the tail feathers, I’ve never witnessed this level of violence in my flock.
I cleaned the wound and sprayed diluted betidine and I added a few drops of Oregano oil to their drinking water.

This year i’m adding a rooster, (crossing my fingers) It’s an Lavender Americanruanas easter egger he’s about 14 weeks now, I have separated him from the main flock ( it’s a hospital/jail/attitude adjuster pen!
The hens have been merciless to him they have made it obvious they do not like him, especially two red stars the llast hens i added last year… they cornered the little rooster and tore out feathers and a large chunk of skin in his rear, near the tail feathers, I’ve never witnessed this level of violence in my flock.
I cleaned the wound and sprayed diluted betidine and I added a few drops of Oregano oil to their drinking water.
Your poor boy! Girls can be vicious. When introducing any new birds from the growout pens to the main flock, I keep the new one(s) in a big dog crate inside the main coop for a week or so to get them all accustomed to each other without actually having any physical contact. It seems to help keep the initial pecking order at a minimum when finally released.

Back
Top Bottom