What are you breeding

5 Acre Rooster

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
North Missouri
And I mean birds. Currently or in near future.

Currently I have BSL pen (BA x BPR) My meat project (Austra-white x CX) Also in with these are 3 WLH ladies.
In a small pen I also put a IB (Iowa blue) x WLH (Wife's idea) and a Cochin cross (Looks like a Delaware but is a 1/2 breed feather foot).

Later this summer I will probably move my BA hens in with the rooster and remove the BPR. Come end of summer I should have males for BA (More than just 1) BPR, RIR, BO (??? this is iffy) WLH, for pure breeds anyway. So with permission/orders I can hatch anything I want. Until they get mature I might hatch some more BYM from my girls. I have some cool looking chicks from them now. 1 might even be named. Its a "Mr. T" complete with black Mohawk and black streak down the back, otherwise its a white chick.

Oh don't forget the Rouen ducks and Pekins also.

I keeping to these breeds, and BYM because I plan on selling eggs and working birds, too many fancier breeders in my area already. And besides if I get 20+ dz. eggs week now imagine if I double (Ok multiply by X) my flock. I have outlets for my eggs so that won't be an issue.

I want to try and cross cornish with the jungle fowl and see if I can get a more dinosaur type bird...

LOL scales and 2 foot fangs and all? No J/K I have wanted to do my Meat Project for years just stuff always got in the way, (Mostly the freezer.). The IB x WLH was wife's idea because he was a free rooster and wanted to send the breeder we got them from some pics of what they make. Just something she wanted to do.
BYM ends up with all neat looking but actually KNOWING what are the ingredients of this or that bird are more ideal for myself. Love my working birds, BYM mutts or WTH is that thing.

I am hoping to add some dark brown layers to my flock with a pen for Marans which I have in the incubator now. I am also hatching out some SBELs. I finally hatched out a grey hen this spring to pair up with a beautiful gold and grey rooster I have and I want to see what I can do with that.

I've suffer from "mad scientist syndrome".. a chronic lifelong condition.. lol I bred lion's mane rabbits and isolated the white and grey harlequin(striped) patterning so that they looked like white-striped lion rabbits... I also at one point mutated lettuce to grow in vines rather than heads (tastes very stemy but still fun)

I really like the upright very erect birds with close nit feathering... and the cornish have such strong legs and retain that close nit feathering. Right now I've got only a young flock containing all sorts of breeds... none of the ones I need. I may hatch some next spring and begin then. (BTW green legs are a must!!))

I'm currently working with B/B/S Silkies, white Japanese, silver duckwing OEGB, Sizzles and black Spanish turkeys. I had a pair of mottled Cochins, but my rooster was a turd and now he is no more.

I wish I had more breeding pens (and I would if my DH would build more :) ). I'd really like to work with La Fleche, since they're listed as a critical breed, but they're very difficult to find and I really don't want to order them from a hatchery!

One pen of black sex links that lay brown eggs, and one pen of black or barred-based sex links that will lay blue or green eggs.

Not so much on the breeding this year, this year is dedicated to obtaining and raising the breeding stock I want for next year. Oh, and construction on breeding pens, an incubator, grow-out pens, etc. Look out next year!

One pen of black sex links that lay brown eggs, and one pen of black or barred-based sex links that will lay blue or green eggs.

Not so much on the breeding this year, this year is dedicated to obtaining and raising the breeding stock I want for next year. Oh, and construction on breeding pens, an incubator, grow-out pens, etc. Look out next year!

I have been given free reign as long as meat and eggs get to the fridge/freezer and to customers. And I can get at least 1 mature WLH rooster and RIR (I have 5 hatchery purchased 4-19, and a dz. in the bator.) which won't be for sale this year. Wife wants double the breeding girls these breeds. Same with ducks and turkeys. Still have a lot of remodeling to do for breed grow out pens and isolation. I have 3 breeding pens now so that's what I am using. My last currently housing future roosters and CX chicks for a few more weeks anyway. Also need more Roosters grown to maturity. Not so much interested in BYM now that I have oodles of breeders to choose from on female side. I have a few hatched already, 20+ and some more under a broody but after that unless I get irritated again (How I ended up with 20+ BYM) I will wait for PLANNED breeding.

Might have to try getting some more rose comb birds. Down to 1 full. Have 2 that are BA x SLW and have 1/2 and 1/2 RS/SC. Slightly odd looking when I first caught the flawed combs.

I finally ordered the chickens i need to cross saipans and cornish.. i also ordered some brown leghorns that i might splash in to up the egg production as i know many egg production crosses use the white type and I've read the roosters dictate laying in future offspring.

Back
Top Bottom