What are you freezing to keep your chickens cool?

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
My church had a big party and used watermelon halves as vases. I asked to have the few left over halves, and one of the lady's in charge not only gave me halves-- she also gave me 4 sacks of leftover watermelon meat! I froze it all in smaller bags, and today gave the girls a quart of frozen watermelon. Maybe we'll make it through the 105* heat this weekend.
Anybody with other frozen ideas?

I use frozen, mixed vegetables. My chickens love them and they are inexpensive. I buy a large bag every week. I also put frozen water bottles in their gallon water jugs, this keeps their water cool throughout the day. if it gets too hot, I will run the sprinkler next to their coop and let the cool water run into the coop. They splash and lay in the puddles.

Lol
lol.png
, Mine got a little taste of vanilla ice cream yesterday. I was sitting outside with a bowl watching the girls and since they are such little beggars for treats, they had to see what I was eating.
droolin.gif

I like the frozen watermelon idea!

I chopped up honeydew, grapes, green beans, and added blueberries, tossed them into quart-sized ziplock bags and froze them. Now I pull out a bag and give it to my girls during the heat of the day.

I enjoy putting a bunch of mixed friut in a bowl...filling it with water tjen freezing it....dump it oit in the heat pf the day and they foto town

I cut left over corn on the cob into 2 inch long chunks and froze them. I threw them into the coop and they devoured the corn right down to the bare cob. They loved it.

Wow, you all have some great ideas. I think I can take the kitchen trim I normally give them and put it in a ziplock add some water, freeze that to give too. Thanks for the Ideas! Next...

I buy the bags of frozen blueberries and frozen peas for mine.
My flock tends to be picky about what type of veggies n fruit they will eat. So I get what I know they will devour.

Watermelon chilled seems to be a universal favorite in everyones flocks.

Back
Top Bottom