What Are You Paying for Feed?

Oh my, these prices are high. I'll check out the local feed stores. With a little luck the savings will be worth the extra drive.

A local "feed" store may or may not give you any better price. If all they do is sell trucked in feed bags, it is unlikely.

What everyone needs to find, if possibly can, is a true local mill. A place that has local sources of corn and soybeans (the two pricey and main ingredients) that mill or grinds the feed, right on the spot, and sacks it in non-descript mill bags. These places add all the quality ingredients: minerals, vita-pak, calcium, etc, and often sell for $5 a 50# less than a TSC can sell you a "brand name" feed. How? Simple really. Far less hands in the profit chain, plain packaging, and no trucking costs.

For folks on a tight budget and those freaking out over rising feed costs, searching a 50 miles radius to find such a place is essential. Just google feed and your home town and start searching. Some of these places are tucked away and are not well-known, except by the hundreds of their loyal customers.

Bought two bags of Allway Kernels (a flockraiser) yesterday, 50# bags, $12.00 each. Bought one bag of Black Rooster (a seven grain scratch). 50# was 13.50.
What I like about the feedstore I use is that they are a semi-local company\\feed mill. I've never purchased a bag of feed from them that was more than two or three weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom