What are your opinions on "pink slime"?

I do agree that it needs to be on the label so people can opt out if they so desire. As far as the big flap over it? I can't help but find it rather amusing that people are having such a hissy fit over this while much worse, or at least just as gross of left over odds and ends, are used in just about every brand of hot dog weiner made, and has been for as long as hot dogs have been around. And none of it is on the label other then "pork" or "beef" or "turkey" or whatever. But you sure don't see folks ditching their hot dogs!

We may already put a lot of junk in our bodies but I'm not sure that's an excuse to keep on doing it. Like continuing to smoke because you found out you have cancer. It might not hurt you to eat the pink slime but its just foul. It's essentially garbage scraps they found a way to clean and mix back in. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Even with labels, most people would not read them.

We dont' eat pork. I grew up being taught to read labels ALWAYS, to make sure that there was no pork in it - no pork in sausage or snuck into beans, no lard in baked goods or crackers, always ask people if there is pork in something if there is a potluck at work, etc.

But most people don't read food labels. They don't want to read food labels. In twenty years of nursing, doing diabetic and cardiac diet teaching and trying to get patients to read food labels, I can tell you that most people do NOT want to read food labels. If people read food labels, then they would have to be accountable for their food choices. They would see that there are sugars in their food, starches in their food, preservatives in their food, and the worst one of all - they would have to see that there are CALORIES in the food they eat and that the serving size is less than what they usually eat of a packaged product.

It doesn't matter what it is that is in the food, they don't want to know because if they don't know, they can blame it all on the manufacturers or the government or whoever - because they don't want to be held accountable for what passes their lips.

They want it cheap, they want it tasty (and to many people, veggies are not tasty unless cooked to death and drowning in butter etc), and they want it fast. And as long as they don't know what is in their food, that is ok with them as long as they can buy what they like, when they like, and have it "their way".

Yes, there are more people today that want to eat healthier and they read food labels. But by and large, the general public isn't interested in being that accountable for their decisions and reading food labels.

Why don't you eat pork?

From what I read there (in what is essentially a blog post), she seems to be equating mechanically separated meat with this, but they're not the same processes. Interestingly, even before concerns about "mad cow" disease its safety was questioned, and the product had to be identified in ingredients. Again, the fervor in this issue is that it was allowed to be added without labeling, removing consumers' abilities to make their own decisions.

In the end, it's become something that consumers now associate with something not very pleasant, and this will affect their buying decisions. Those with no concerns about the product can reap the benefits of lower-priced ground beef which includes this item. Those who wish to buy ground beef that does not contain it will pay more. This isn't about a ban -- it's about labeling, and allowing us to choose for ourselves.

:)

ETA

I went back and read another of her posts, and her "informative" comments about E. coli have completely discounted her validity with me -- she doesn't know what she's talking about. I submitted a response to her essentially "op-ed" blog post.

Last edited:
My friend sells baked goods at the farmers market. The same folks who blindly eat beef filled with pink slime and who knows what else will come over to her booth and ask "Where is the ingredient list?" They act very suspicious and then they go down to the corn dog booth and get a bunch of corn dogs. LOL

My friend sells baked goods at the farmers market. The same folks who blindly eat beef filled with pink slime and who knows what else will come over to her booth and ask "Where is the ingredient list?" They act very suspicious and then they go down to the corn dog booth and get a bunch of corn dogs. LOL

I think it's a relic of the 1950's, when people were trained to simply trust anything that came pre-packaged -- like TV dinners. If it came out of a can or a box, it must be safe.

From what I read there (in what is essentially a blog post), she seems to be equating mechanically separated meat with this, but they're not the same processes. Interestingly, even before concerns about "mad cow" disease its safety was questioned, and the product had to be identified in ingredients. Again, the fervor in this issue is that it was allowed to be added without labeling, removing consumers' abilities to make their own decisions.

In the end, it's become something that consumers now associate with something not very pleasant, and this will affect their buying decisions. Those with no concerns about the product can reap the benefits of lower-priced ground beef which includes this item. Those who wish to buy ground beef that does not contain it will pay more. This isn't about a ban -- it's about labeling, and allowing us to choose for ourselves.

:)

ETA

I went back and read another of her posts, and her "informative" comments about E. coli have completely discounted her validity with me -- she doesn't know what she's talking about. I submitted a response to her essentially "op-ed" blog post.
So it should have been labeled as ground beef with ground beef added ?

old.gif

Quote: Exactly.

I'm not sure why some think it's "hides and floor sweepings"

If you don't WANT it , don't buy preground meat, but don't make up things about it that simply aren't true.

Back
Top Bottom