what are your thoughts on turning...the last 3 days

perfectly_polish

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
CT
I have hatched chicks so many times, I just wanted to know your thoughts about the last 3 days of incubation. I always stop turning the eggs at 18 days and add more humity. Do you think it is better to take the turner out completely or leave it in there and just unplug it. I was also wondering if you give a broody hen, let's say duck eggs, how will she know that she has to stop turning them on day 25, or does she keep turning them, and if she does why do we stop turning them also? Just some thoughts to ponder....
big_smile.png
Oh yeah and if FogHorn reads this....did you ever contact Hall Brothers Hatchery? Thanks so much, Sophia!

NO, perfectly-polish, not yet. I have been very busy lately and these 20 chicks I have plus these cold temps have been keeping me focused on making sure they are comfortable. Actually, I just bought an incubator from a BYC member and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. SO, that means that I will be trying some first attempts at hatching my own eggs soon. I am keeping an eye on who has what eggs here on the board and also on Ebay. I would love to just pick them up if I could instead of having them shipped. Where do you get yours? I am really trying hard to find a breeder of some Silver Laced Wyandottes! I think they are nice looking birds.

Quote:
I usually get mine from ebay.com or eggbid.com and sometimes a few people around where i live. I will start hatching my own when the rooster gets better. The guy I get eggs from on ebay.com has Silver Laced Wyandottes and Golden Laced Myandottes and many other breeds. I am pretty sure his screen name on ebay is Davido. Good Luck, Sophia!

My opinion on turning eggs is that I do what the instructions in the incubator say. That is not to say it is the only way but I feel they have tested it and it works. I use a Brower Top hatch and it does not that the tilting cups like some of the form incubators. Mine turn by means of a spoke arrangement that seperates eggs into sections and the tub rotates very slowly causing the eggs to bump against the spoke and they eventually turn. I lift the tub off the turner late on day 18 and increase humidity which is sometimes a problem for me at this time of year.

I do know if people who have had eggs hatch early and they hatch in the turner. It is dangerous as they can get stuck as well as the fact that is is hard on them once hatched as they can't get any footing to get around and get their land legs.

Thanks for the link Sophia! Maybe we WILL bump into each other! Would love to talk chicken! I gotta see those chicks when they hatch! Post some pics?
-Eric

Hey Foghorn, yeah I would love to talk chicken with someone who loves chickens as much as I do! Hopefully we'll bump into each other one day at Salem Feed and Grain, they should be getting in those chickies soon! Only one more day for the chicks here, they hatch tomorrow WOO-HOO! I will try to take pictures but my cousin dropped my digital camera and it won't turn on
sad.png
but I have some pictures from previouse hatches if you would want to see those if my camera isn't working?

-Sophia

Sophia,I would love to see the pics! How is the hatch coming!!!???
I can't believe how difficult it is to find Blue-Laced Red Wyandotte Eggs. I have searched ebay. That link was good but they have no eggs up for bid. I can wait, I guess. I would LOVE to find someone nearby that I could pick hatching eggs up from instead of having them shipped. You are lucky that you have people that you can get them from. I am new to all this, so I guess in time I will locate some.
-Eric

Quote:
Nothing yet, hopefully latter nonight or tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed! You should try calling the Hall Brothers Hatchery again since they sell hatching eggs and are only in Norwich. We have a Silver Laced Polish Rooster and his leg is a lot better, but once he gets in the swing of things I'm hoping to hatch some of his eggs. If you wanted I would be more then happy to give to some fertile eggs when he comes around. He is a beautiful Silver Lace Polish Rooster so the chicks would be SLP with silkie buff orpington or aurancana mixed in
lol.png
I'll update you on the hatch and post some pictures!

-Sophia
tongue.png

I will definately call tomorrow. Any idea what breed eggs they sell? Do they have a minimum? Prices ok?
Can't wait to see those pics! Good luck on the hatch!
-Eric

Back
Top Bottom