I free-range 30 Speckled Sussex, 28 hens & 2 adult roosters. The chickens are always locked in their coop at night. The coop is the only place they can get their grain, it makes a good incentive for them to return to the coop.
We have plenty of places our chickens can run to if they see predators. For example, under trucks, tractors, porches and barns. The birds also hang around with the Donkeys. The only problem with free-range is putting up with the poop that the chickens leave every where.

IMO - take it for what it is worth. If you have predators, they will find you. Often times, once they find you, they come back. This is a question you have to come to terms with. Will you be devastated if you loose a bird, if so - don't free range.

The way I do it, and I DO have predators. I have a set up, coop/run in which my flock can stay in with peace. There is a lot of room for the flock I have. I do not try and make up for too small of coop/run by free ranging.

• I do not free range every day
  • I don't free range at the same time every day - sometimes they are let out early, sometimes for the afternoon, and sometimes not at all.
  • I don't free range on cloudy, or stormy or high wind days - gives too much advantage for the predators.
  • I do have a year old rooster - some roosters do well at predator awareness, and some do not. Not all roosters are good roosters. But if you have one, a year old one is when they start getting good at this, not before.
  • If I get a hit, I go into lock down 24/7 for several days, even weeks - giving time for the predator to move on.
  • My run is totally enclosed chainlink fence with a skirt on the ground of chicken wire. It has worked for coyotes, coons and eagles for me.
Everything loves to eat chicken, I love to let mine out, it is a paradox that can be tricky to live with. I have been wiped out or nearly wiped out a couple of times. Each time I got better.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom