mrslita2019

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Central Texas
Hi All,

We picked up 10 hens of various types from my aunt last week. They have been raised free ranging and getting egg layer AM and PM. We live on 10 VERY OPEN acres. Built them a decent size coop to keep them safe from predators. I am feeding egg layer AM and PM with a few treats like mealworms and apple. We wanted to free range them during the day and coop them at night but I am not sure anymore. We have hawks and since they have been home, I have seen coyote sign. I know they will lay better if they continue to free range. I want them to be happy and safe. Thoughts? AND if we decide to let them range, how long until they know, "this is where you live and lay eggs now?"

Last edited:
I've been told that mature hawks attack chickens usually out of territory aggression. And young inexperienced hawks are usually the ones that try to attack them to eat them because they think that it's an easy meal

how long until they know, "this is where you live and lay eggs now?"
A few days to a week should do it.
Start ranging for just an hour or so before roosting time, they won't go far and should go back to the coop at dusk. Increase that time daily until you are sure they will return to coop to roost.

As to whether you should range or not, that's up to you and your tolerance for risk of loss and poops all over the yard/porch/steps/etc.
I've never free ranged, but they have a 8x50' run and lay lots of eggs.

Back
Top Bottom