What backyard breeds would be best for us?

Sandwitch

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
Hello! I’m trying to get a good sense of what breeds of chicken might work out best for our situation. We actually got chickens for pest control with our horses. The egg laying has just been a good bonus.

Right now we have 11 chickens (started out with 15) two of which are roosters.

Current breeds we have: silkies (4), French black copper Moran, Easter eggers (2), olive eggers, starlight green eggers (2), and a prairie bluebell egger.

With our assortment of chickens we can tell almost all of them apart super easily (then we got three white silkies lol) which is very nice and helpful. I also do like collecting some of their interestingly patterned feathers so that’d be a really nice plus. I’ll include some pictures of our flock.

We recently had one of the silkies get killed by what we suspect was a domestic dog. During that event the entire flock fled. Most were smart enough to go towards home and/or go high. However during that two had fled (likely into the woods) and later were picked off by coyotes. The coyotes have become way more interested in our property (they used to stay away because horses are scary when you are small) since they discovered our flock. We also lost a chicken to what I believe was a fox however she tended to be a bit too bold and grew up with cats who she could easily boss around. I genuinely think she probably tried to chase a fox away.

Their coop is quite secure however it’s not super big and they really really love free ranging. Finding a good breed that can still free range but do so more safely (ie be able to escape better and be smart enough to stick close to home) is quite important to us.

We’ve had a couple olive eggers who I’ve really enjoyed/liked. It’d also be nice to have a smarter breed because we have one EE who is so unbelievably dumb (which luckily is endearing) and one stupid chicken is more than enough. Although somehow our dumb EE has managed to survive this long?

The silkies while they are adorable (we mainly got them because a friend got them then realized that they couldn’t fly and at their farm they had zero chance of surviving) aren’t a great fit for our barn. Mainly due to being flightless, not waterproof while living in the PNW, reduced vision and being more high maintenance.

Some of what I’d ideally like in a future addition to our flock: be a good forager, have enough survival instincts to not stray too far away, be friendly to humans, probably be more flighty, bigger chickens might work better since they look less like toys/snacks?

I’m just curious if anyone has breed suggestions that may work for us. Thank you guys!
D91E0F23-A913-4C48-B1DD-C16B29DCB26D.jpeg BF310732-2360-4A22-A422-968DCD5405F4.jpeg 1FDABE2E-503A-41F3-9D3B-B314F15DC48E.jpeg

Hello! I’m trying to get a good sense of what breeds of chicken might work out best for our situation. We actually got chickens for pest control with our horses. The egg laying has just been a good bonus.

Current breeds we have: silkies (4), French black copper Moran, Easter eggers (2), olive eggers, starlight green eggers (2), and a prairie bluebell egger.

With our assortment of chickens we can tell almost all of them apart super easily (then we got three white silkies lol) which is very nice and helpful. I also do like collecting some of their interestingly patterned feathers so that’d be a really nice plus. I’ll include some pictures of our flock.

We recently had one of the silkies get killed by what we suspect was a domestic dog. During that event the entire flock fled. Most were smart enough to go towards home and/or go high. However during that two had fled (likely into the woods) and later were picked off by coyotes. The coyotes have become way more interested in our property (they used to stay away because horses are scary when you are small) since they discovered our flock. We also lost a chicken to what I believe was a fox however she tended to be a bit too bold and grew up with cats who she could easily boss around. I genuinely think she probably tried to chase a fox away.

Their coop is quite secure however it’s not super big and they really really love free ranging. Finding a good breed that can still free range but do so more safely (ie be able to escape better and be smart enough to stick close to home) is quite important to us.

We’ve had a couple olive eggers who I’ve really enjoyed/liked. It’d also be nice to have a smarter breed because we have one EE who is so unbelievably dumb (which luckily is endearing) and one stupid chicken is more than enough. Although somehow our dumb EE has managed to survive this long?

The silkies while they are adorable (we mainly got them because a friend got them then realized that they couldn’t fly and at their farm they had zero chance of surviving) aren’t a great fit for our barn. Mainly due to being flightless, not waterproof while living in the PNW, reduced vision and being more high maintenance.

Some of what I’d ideally like in a future addition to our flock: be a good forager, have enough survival instincts to not stray too far away, be friendly to humans, probably be more flighty, bigger chickens might work better since they look less like toys/snacks?

I’m just curious if anyone has breed suggestions that may work for us. Thank you guys!
View attachment 3307243View attachment 3307245View attachment 3307244
I do not free range but MAYBE the Rhode island red or a red sex link. I know those are often used for free range egg layers. Wish you luck!!!

View attachment 3307243View attachment 3307245View attachment 3307244
Australorps are really nice. They are only black but with a greenish purpleish sheen. Really nice egg production. pretty calm and docile. As for smarts, I once taught one to come when I called it by name. 🤷‍♀️

Strangely it seems to work the other way around and the smaller flighty breeds are better at evading predators but much of that is done by not being seen in the first place.

My first question would be whats the environment in which they range like? Does it have trees, large bushes, bamboo, or even rusting farming machinery. Junk will help, but the stuff nature grows works better as cover for free rangers.

While breed plays it's part in predator awareness more important imo is the chicken is already adapted to the environment in which it is expected to live and has learn't from other chickens, preferably it's mother.

What I would do in your situation is accept that you are going to lose a few, close the flock as in not import hatching eggs or juveniles and adults and try and breed from your existing group given you have roosters.

Strangely it seems to work the other way around and the smaller flighty breeds are better at evading predators but much of that is done by not being seen in the first place.

My first question would be whats the environment in which they range like? Does it have trees, large bushes, bamboo, or even rusting farming machinery. Junk will help, but the stuff nature grows works better as cover for free rangers.

While breed plays it's part in predator awareness more important imo is the chicken is already adapted to the environment in which it is expected to live and has learn't from other chickens, preferably it's mother.

What I would do in your situation is accept that you are going to lose a few, close the flock as in not import hatching eggs or juveniles and adults and try and breed from your existing group given you have roosters.
We have a ton of trees and bushes. The yard is open but we have 8 billion things they can hide under (both man made and natural).

I love our flock but for most of them I don’t exactly think that many have quite the right genes that should be passed on. I think maybe 4/9 hens have what we’d really want (especially given how much of our flock is silkies at the moment).

I do think maybe later on when we get more chickens after seeing who survives and who survives well we may try backyard breeding. However I think that should probably be another flock or so out ya know?

Back
Top Bottom