What bred and gender are these chicks

It’s not a mutation - it’s a trait that is bred for. If he’s got breeding stock, any “light layers” should have been culled. There are breeds like Marans, Penedesenca, Barnevelder, and Welsummer that lay specifically dark brown eggs. No mutation - just a trait that someone bred for time and time again. If you want dark eggs, I don’t suggest buying mutts. Plus, the guy doesn’t sound like he actually knew what he was talking about.
Sorry if that comes across as rude or didn’t make sense.
Every trait in existence stems from a mutation. Mutations are what drive natural and artificial selection. To breed for something overtime, there has to be a change in the genetic structure of the bird to do so or else change would stagnate. Heavy bloom can and is bred for. Langshans are a pure breed that is known for heavy bloom. Why does it matter if they're a mixed breed? If the OP wants birds that lay eggs with heavy bloom, by all means let them!! Eggs with heavy bloom are super cool and quite unusual-it's how you end up with shades of pink and purple. There is absolutely no difference between the OP buying heavy bloom birds than anyone else buying a mixed breed bred for eggs like Easter or Olive Eggers (which you have even purchased yourself). Please don't be so condescending in the future when the OP has clearly cute and healthy birds and just wants unusual eggs. :)

Last edited:
Every trait in existence stems from a mutation. Mutations are what drive natural and artificial selection. To breed for something overtime, there has to be a change in the generic structure of the bird to do so or else change would stagnate. Heavy bloom can and is bred for. Langshans are a pure breed that is known for heavy bloom. Why does it matter if they're a mixed breed? If the OP wants birds that lay eggs with heavy bloom, by all means let them!! Eggs with heavy bloom are super cool and quite unusual-it's how you end up with shades of pink and purple. There is absolutely no difference between the OP buying heavy bloom birds than anyone else buying a mixed breed bred for eggs like Easter or Olive Eggers (which you have even purchased yourself). Please don't be so condescending in the future when the OP has clearly cute and healthy birds and just wants unusual eggs. :)
I agree, pictures 1,4, and 5 appear to be cockerels!
Tysm for your answer I 100% agree with everything you say

Every trait in existence stems from a mutation. Mutations are what drive natural and artificial selection. To breed for something overtime, there has to be a change in the genetic structure of the bird to do so or else change would stagnate.
I know this. I worded my post poorly. Yes, it is a mutation - but it's not a thing that randomly pops up. To get consistently darker eggs, you need to breed dark layers. It sounded like the OP was describing a setup where they were mixing egg shades and hoping for darker ones, which both didn't make sense to me and seemed like maybe someone in the situation was confused. But I don't mind how the birds were bred, and I hope the OP gets the eggs they wanted.
Eggs with heavy bloom are super cool and quite unusual-it's how you end up with shades of pink and purple.
Sadly the darkest bloom I get isn't nearly as dark as store-bought eggs, haha. Wish I had darker.
There is absolutely no difference between the OP buying heavy bloom birds than anyone else buying a mixed breed bred for eggs like Easter or Olive Eggers (which you have even purchased yourself).
Understood - it just seemed like a purebred bird would be a better choice if the egg color of the chicks is in question due to their mixed heritage. Nothing wrong with mutts.
Please don't be so condescending in the future when the OP has clearly cute and healthy birds and just wants unusual eggs. :)
I apologize for being condescending, it was not my intention. Sorry!

I know this. I worded my post poorly. Yes, it is a mutation - but it's not a thing that randomly pops up. To get consistently darker eggs, you need to breed dark layers. It sounded like the OP was describing a setup where they were mixing egg shades and hoping for darker ones, which both didn't make sense to me and seemed like maybe someone in the situation was confused. But I don't mind how the birds were bred, and I hope the OP gets the eggs they wanted.

Sadly the darkest bloom I get isn't nearly as dark as store-bought eggs, haha. Wish I had darker.

Understood - it just seemed like a purebred bird would be a better choice if the egg color of the chicks is in question due to their mixed heritage. Nothing wrong with mutts.

I apologize for being condescending, it was not my intention. Sorry!
You're totally fine!! I got your point, just wanted to make sure the OP didn't get intimidated! :D Tone is sometimes hard to decipher and I am definitely guilty of coming off too harsh online as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom