What Breed? 4 week mystery chick

ShadesofSable

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2014
I posted about this chick a while back when I first got her, and got a lot of good guesses but no one who could definitely say "Yep! your chick is a ____!" (You can see the original post and her baby pictures here)

Here's the full body. I'm pretty sure this is a pullet as at 4 weeks she has little or no comb development, and no wattles at all.

Her skin is a pinkish with dusky grey in spots, but her feet, beak, and comb have always been very dark. even the bottoms of her feet are almost black!

She has lightly feathered shanks and four toes, solid black legs.

And, this is the recent development, a bronzed "scarf" coming up around her neck. (Sorry for the bluryness, she's a very active bird and this is the best shot I could get!) Up until this point we thought black japanese bantam, but they're solid black.

I got her from a TSC in the assorted bantam bin so I'm pretty sure she's a purebreed (albeit hatchery quality), but I think she may have gotten mixed in by accident? She doesn't look at all (to me) like any of the standard bantam breeds they get in there. If anything, she almost looks like a small black copper maran, but I don't think they come bantam sized? I would almost also say brown red OEGB too, except that she's feather legged and over twice the size of my silver duckwing OEGB.

So, I'm pretty much at a loss. Any thoughts or input would be welcome. Thanks for looking!

I'm really not sure what she is, either.
idunno.gif
The feathered legs would make me think perhaps Langshan, but that isn't common in bantam (and they don't get the coloration on the neck). She may be a hatchery-quality Brown Red Old English Game that ended up with light feathering on the legs, but I would think that even a hatchery Old English Game would have clean legs.

I'm really not sure what she is, either.:idunno  The feathered legs would make me think perhaps Langshan, but that isn't common in bantam (and they don't get the coloration on the neck). She may be a hatchery-quality Brown Red Old English Game that ended up with light feathering on the legs, but I would think that even a hatchery Old English Game would have clean legs.

Yup, I got a silver duckwing OEGB at the same time, and she's clean-legged and about half the size of this bird. Maybe a 'd ullce? I know those were a breed that TSC had. Do they have a dark/black version? I've only ever seen the mille flour and porcelain. (Forgive spelling errors, please! I'm new to breeds.)

I'm really not sure what she is, either.
idunno.gif
The feathered legs would make me think perhaps Langshan, but that isn't common in bantam (and they don't get the coloration on the neck). She may be a hatchery-quality Brown Red Old English Game that ended up with light feathering on the legs, but I would think that even a hatchery Old English Game would have clean legs.
Agreed.

D'uccles have beards and muffs and true feathers on the leg. What I see on the first picture we call stubs, they rarely develops into true feathers. It has a single comb so my guess of Sumatra, (based on tail length and carriage), is out. I'll guess OEGB.

D'uccles have beards and muffs and true feathers on the leg. What I see on the first picture we call stubs, they rarely develops into true feathers. It has a single comb so my guess of Sumatra, (based on tail length and carriage), is out. I'll guess OEGB.

Tractor supply would carry Sumatra? Her tail is really long, but she usually carries it totally upright. Do clean legged breeds frequently get stubs? I have another chick which is a confirmed OEGB, and possibly a rooster, who's about half the size of this chick. This chick is maybe the size of a small dove currently? I'll post some more pictures of her on Monday or Tuesday.

The breed possibility will depend on what hatchery they come from. Out here Ideal is where most of the chicks come from.
Sumatra's carry the tail more horizontally, OEGB have a more upright carriage.
Some breeds are more prone to feather stubs, our fair judge checks wyandottes, wellsummers and orpingtons carefully for stubs.
With my first batch of chicks I was sure I got 3 bantams, over time their growth evened out. My "bantams" are only slightly smaller than the rest of the flock.

New pictures! We're hitting the six week mark and all the peeps are starting to look more like chickens now!

Her tail is actually very upright, she just won't pick it up for pictures. :/

much better head-on shot of her comb and bronze scarf!

Her leg "feathers" are starting to get more obvious and fluffy. Are these stubs or feathers?

Back
Top Bottom