What breed are my bantams

vestal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 28, 2013

Can someone please help me with the breed of these bantams and why has one have a black face and one has a red face with a comb and wattle
Thanks.

silkie/cochin cross. Silkies have black skin, but it looks like only one of your girls got it. If you look at their feet, they will likely have an extra toe(5 toes) as well. The silkied gene is recessive, so when you cross one to a none silkies, all the chicks have normal feathering, and will carry the silkied gene. If you where to breed them with a silkie rooster, you should get a few silkied chicks (about 50%).

white silkie rooster (see the black skin/comb?)
SilkBtyStdM.JPEG

and a naked silkie
SilkieSkin.JPEG

I have Faverolles x Silkie crosses. Some have black skin, others have light, and some have both. I have kept 6 so far (3 almost a clean white with blue and 3 black with black spangled breasts) but may have to let 2 go as I think I have 4 roos in there. They look like yours otherwise. So...I think they are Silkie crosses. Not sure what they are crossed with, could almost be anything but I am also wondering if the cross iis with a Cochin as I know a lot of people have been ding that one.

silkie/cochin cross. Silkies have black skin, but it looks like only one of your girls got it. If you look at their feet, they will likely have an extra toe(5 toes) as well. The silkied gene is recessive, so when you cross one to a none silkies, all the chicks have normal feathering, and will carry the silkied gene. If you where to breed them with a silkie rooster, you should get a few silkied chicks (about 50%).

white silkie rooster (see the black skin/comb?)
SilkBtyStdM.JPEG

and a naked silkie
SilkieSkin.JPEG

WOW!
ep.gif

Thanks for that. Do you think the black head one will get wattles

Back
Top Bottom