What breed are my hens?

Hostrander8

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
I posted before
1000125122.jpg
1000125120.jpg
asking what people thought the breed of my hens were but now that they are mature I figure I'd ask again

The blue one is maybe an olive egger, or some other type of Easter egger.

The white one, maybe something like a Starlight Green egger or maybe a California Tan.

So both are hatchery hybrids, not standard pure breeds.

Should be great layers!

I posted before View attachment 3758119View attachment 3758121asking what people thought the breed of my hens were but now that they are mature I figure I'd ask again
If they are laying eggs, what color are the eggs? That can help figure out the breeds (although I think they are probably mixes rather than pure breeds, the egg color can still help with deciding what to call the mix.)

Where did you get them? That can also help with figuring it out, at least sometimes.

Yeah they both lay brown eggs the black one lays a lighter brown kinda tan and the white lays a medium brown they lay just about everyday

Yeah they both lay brown eggs the black one lays a lighter brown kinda tan and the white lays a medium brown they lay just about everyday
We actually got them from my daughters school they had them in her class

In that case, they might just be mixes from someone's backyard flock.

Or if the school got them from a store or hatchery (or got eggs from a hatchery and then hatched them), the mostly-white one might be an Amberlink (also called Amber Star by some hatcheries). Example:
https://townlinehatchery.com/product/amberlink/

The darker one is not actually black. Her color is called "blue" in chickens. She might be a blue sexlink (often sold as Sapphire Gem or Blue Star or some such name.) Here is one example from a hatchery:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiregem.html

Many hatcheries sell chicks of those same basic types, with a variety of different names. I don't know which hatchery yours could have come from, so I just picked one example hatchery for each type.

Last edited:
Yeah I asked my daughter where they got the chickens it was her teachers flock. But thanks they do look just like the linked chickens 🙂

Back
Top Bottom