What breed are thes hens?

Kathy3367

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2016
HI. I got these hens, they are supposed to both be austrlops but one has a darker face than the other. They are supposed to be 4 to 5 months old. What are y'all thoughts.

Look like Australorps to me... if you are referring to the red bits of their faces being slightly different shades, that can be an individual trait just as some people have more natural blush in their cheeks than others... but you can check the bottoms of their feet... if their white to pinkish, Australorp... yellow is Jersey Giant or possible mix... :)

Thanks for all your responses. I could not find anything on the net saying that some had darker faces than other so I trying to make sure. They are both shiny and reflect green in the sun. I already have one australorp and she has the red comb and wattles but she has white ears which also find interesting as most have black ears. She lays medium colored brown eggs and has pink feet so i am thinking she may be a mix but she is a good natured hen and lays consistently. These 2 in the picture were a trade for roosters so you never really know what you get but they are pretty calm and have not started laying. I guess when people mix all different breeds and sit the eggs you could come up with anything. Thanks again for all your responses.

Thanks for all your responses. I could not find anything on the net saying that some had darker faces than other so I trying to make sure. They are both shiny and reflect green in the sun. I already have one australorp and she has the red comb and wattles but she has white ears which also find interesting as most have black ears. She lays medium colored brown eggs and has pink feet so i am thinking she may be a mix but she is a good natured hen and lays consistently. These 2 in the picture were a trade for roosters so you never really know what you get but they are pretty calm and have not started laying. I guess when people mix all different breeds and sit the eggs you could come up with anything. Thanks again for all your responses.
Depending on how white those ears are .... the one you have with red comb and wattles with white ears could be a White Faced Black Spanish or a cross with one- the white can be slow to express (like, 2 years slow). I have 2 eggs under a broody right now so I have yet to actually see one... anyways, just a thought.

Here's a photo of one that still has the red comb/wattles with white ears:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_yl...ken&fr=yfp-t-s&fp=1&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

Actually she has a rose comb, read comb, red wattles and just white ears. I don't know if you can tell from these pics. I am sure she must be some type of mix.

Here is a couple better pics of Sally and one more of the other 2 I was originally asking about.

Thanks Shezadandy. maybe you are correct , Minorca mix. She looks more like those but she lays a brown egg and not white. I am sure she is some kind of mix. She is a good and friendly hen. Thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom