What Breed & Gender are my chickens!?

Tarina-Rose

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
I have three chickens who I bought as guaranteed females, but for the last few mornings one of my girls (lightest coloured, white/brown) has started going off. I really hope she isn't a rooster as I live in the suburbs and I am really attached!!
I would like to know the breed & Gender of my chickens, I'm not too concerned about the little black one, just the two brown.
Any help is appreciated :)
Thankyou!

The light colored one standing on the pot looks like a red-sex link pullet to me, I'm not sure though, the Darker red colored one looks like a cockerel to me. Do you have any more info/pic's? How old are your birds?

Last edited:
You have two cockerels. The red and white bird on the left is a cockerel. Even though it is colored more like a Red Sex Link pullet, it is probably a 2nd generation Red Sex Link. Since RSLs are hybrids and do not breed true, 2nd generation Red Sex Links cannot be sexed by color. The black bird in the middle with the copper color feathering around its neck area is a pullet (probably a Black Sex Link), and the bird on the right is a mixed breed cockerel.

The black chicken with a short tail is a hen and is a Black sex link. The other black one with a long tail ( Properly known as sickles) is a rooster and a copper maran rooster. The lightest one is a rooster and is a mix of some sort. Maybe a New hampshire (judging by the red in the wings) and Comet (white and brown) mix. Hope that helped
big_smile.png

You have two cockerels. The red and white bird on the left is a cockerel. Even though it is colored more like a Red Sex Link pullet, it is probably a 2nd generation Red Sex Link. Since RSLs are hybrids and do not breed true, 2nd generation Red Sex Links cannot be sexed by color. The black bird in the middle with the copper color feathering around its neck area is a pullet (probably a Black Sex Link), and the bird on the right is a mixed breed cockerel.
agreed

Center bird is a pullet, the ones on the left and right are cockerels.

X2

Back
Top Bottom