What breed is best for meat chickens?

What is the difference in taste of the male and female Cornish x? I have read some places that you need to caponize the males in order to produce tender meat, is this true? Just ordered 15 female Cornish cross, this is my first time doing meat birds. I'm just trying to gather information for next year :)
No difference. Cornish cross males are processed long before the hormones that could flavor meat start being made so they're basically gender neutral as far as I'm concerned. The males might grow a little faster, but my weights aren't that much different at processing.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will get straight run and save some money next year. I am very excited to start producing home grown meat!

bared rocks are auto sexing so any one can feed their roosters early for butchering and give hens a seperate ration ..
i think bared rocks are a great dual purpose bird also great for eggs and meat. I think people should keep auto sexing birds in mind when they buy it will make them happier knowing which birds they keep for eggs and which birds to butcher.

Back
Top Bottom