What breed is Goldie?!

FatChicksDigMe

Crowing
6 Years
May 9, 2015
Merced County, CA
Hey guys, I have been meaning to find out what she is, since I love her so much. We got her at the feed store, but I don't remember what she is. She lays a pinkish egg and is pretty reliable.
[/IMG]

She could be a different number of breeds, but I'm leaning towards Ranger Red or Production Red. There is also a chance of her being a mixed breed.

I'm not seeing the white underfluff and white tail feathers that are typical of Red Sex Links (Red Stars).
You are absolutely correct...Goldie doesn't have the black tail feathers...actually her feathers are taking a back seat to the eggs she lays...even though she's getting extra protein and some ultra egg flaxseed meal...she still looks like she's got a couple old. Worn out fans for wings...poor girl...still love her!!
1f600.png

Thank you guys for your help! She is very mild tempered and one of the top hens in my flock. She layed her egg first too, though she made the whole neighborhood know for a week lol. While not super tame, she definitely isn't skittish and loves attention (eating fig leaves).

Last edited:
We have some Rhode Island Reds that have the darker tips on the tail feathers like your goldie. I know here in North Ga, RIR are popular breeds to have at the feed stores.

When I looked up the pics of the hens you guys suggested, Goldie does look kinda like a mix of red star and ranger red...I have a RIR hen too but Goldie is more goldish than her, no yellow legs, and aside from her tail she isn't dark at all. Her tail looks like my light Brahma hen's actually...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom