What breed is my Henrietta? 6 months old and still no comb or wattles.

JacquelyninCali

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2023
Hello, my Henrietta (the orange/amber one with no comb) is not 6 months and she’s the only one of my flock without a comb or wattles….is this normal for some breeds? Any ideas what breed? Thank you!
IMG_9558.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9554.jpeg
    IMG_9554.jpeg
    582.6 KB · Views: 14
Hello, my Henrietta (the orange/amber one with no comb) is not 6 months and she’s the only one of my flock without a comb or wattles….is this normal for some breeds? Any ideas what breed? Thank you!
View attachment 3726920
She does have a comb: a very small one.

It looks like a pea comb to me. Chickens with pea combs often have very small wattles as well, sometimes too small to see.

Yes, that is normal for some breeds.

She looks a bit like a Buckeye. Or she could be an Easter Egger (they come in many different colors, with a wide variety of physical traits, but some could look like she does.) Or she could just be a mix of some kind.

Where did you get her? Sometimes that helps with figuring out the breed.

It looks like a pea comb to me. Chickens with pea combs often have very small wattles as well, sometimes too small to see.

She looks a bit like a Buckeye. Or she could be an Easter Egger (they come in many different colors, with a wide variety of physical traits, but some could look like she does.) Or she could just be a mix of some kind.

Agreed buckeyes have small combs and no wattles. You got it.

Hi there, I got her from tractor supply. I attached a photo from the day i brought her home and she is the chick in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 10
Hi there, I got her from tractor supply. I attached a photo from the day i brought her home and she is the chick in the middle.
Then she could easily be a Buckeye or some kind of Easter Egger. Tractor Supply usually gets their chicks from one or another of the major hatcheries. Some of those hatcheries offer Buckeyes, and all of them have one or more kinds of Easter Eggers.

I just googled buckeye hen and she definitely looks like that so I think that’s her breed. Thank you!
If she looks like a Buckeye and lays brown eggs, then that is probably correct.

If she lays blue or green eggs, that would mean she is an Easter Egger (no specific pure breed, just a catch-all term for chickens that lay blue or green eggs.)

she’s the only one of my flock without a comb or wattles
That's incorrect. All chickens have a comb and wattles, no matter how small they are. A chicken will hatch out with their comb and wattles, and develop them as they grow older, but nonetheless they still have them-spurs are the same way as well: chicks hatch out having spur nubs, no matter their gender, breed or age. They only develop and grow them out later on.

That's incorrect. All chickens have a comb and wattles, no matter how small they are. A chicken will hatch out with their comb and wattles, and develop them as they grow older, but nonetheless they still have them-spurs are the same way as well: chicks hatch out having spur nubs, no matter their gender, breed or age. They only develop and grow them out later on.
Agree but I think its just Jacquelynin’s way of way of saying they are smaller. Buckeye hens have very small combs and wattles that may not be visible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom