What breed is she? Perhaps Australorp?

Gargoyle

Chiseler
13 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Fox Valley, IL
My Coop
My Coop
Slick is 21 weeks old, and the feed store had her in a bin of Mystic Onyx. The other girl we got from that bin is definitely Mystic Onyx, this one doesn't meet the description. To me she looks like she could be an Astralorp; however, since Mystic Onyx is a new hybrid breed, perhaps she is just a mix that didn't get the intended genetics. She is very healthy, active, and curious, a group leader, and is smaller than the Mystic Onyx, the Prairie Bluebell, and the Rhode Island Reds we got at the same time. (she's about 3-1/2 lb, the others range from almost 4 lbs to almost 5 lbs).
What breed do you think she is? Thanks,

Slick.jpg

I agree, not an australorp. She’s got a pea comb, which narrows the breeds down considerably. Where did you get her?

I agree, not an australorp. She’s got a pea comb, which narrows the breeds down considerably. Where did you get her?
Local feed store that got them from Hoover's Hatchery. She was in a Mystic Onyx bin, we also got two Prairie Bluebells from a separate bin (but we lost one of them).
Two days old when we got them, so I'm thinking the most likely is either a mixup at the hatchery, or, since the Mystic Onyx is a new hybrid breed, she didn't breed true and is some sort of cross.

Local feed store that got them from Hoover's Hatchery. She was in a Mystic Onyx bin, we also got two Prairie Bluebells from a separate bin (but we lost one of them).
Two days old when we got them, so I'm thinking the most likely is either a mixup at the hatchery, or, since the Mystic Onyx is a new hybrid breed, she didn't breed true and is some sort of cross.
I’m thinking it was a mixup, as the Mystic Onyx breed is made by crossing Silkies with meat birds, according to their website, and she’s definitely not either of those.

Back
Top Bottom