What breed is this pretty girl?

Maybe a cross. ?..

It's possible that she could be, but all of them were from a good hatchery and are supposed to be pure bred. I just weighed her and she weighs 4.5 lbs. She appears to have a cushion comb instead of a rose comb and her legs are yellow. I'm thinking maybe she is a chantecler. Now I'm not sure about my other girl who is somewhat similar to her. They're definitely different breeds, but both big fluffy girls. They did include an extra chick for warmth when I got them so maybe one of them isn't a rare breed. I'm really lost here. Thanks for trying to help.

I'm thinking you may be right. She appears to have a cushion comb and weighs 4.5 lbs.

She's a Buff Chantecler. I bred the Partridge color variety for five years. It's a bit hard to mistake that face, once your used to it. lol.

Most hatcheries breed seriously underweight birds, so her weight is actually pretty normal for a hatchery quality Chantecler.

What does the other one look like? If it has a pea comb, or rosecomb as it's only difference, it is most likely a Buff Chantecler too.

The bred is supposed to be cushion combed. However, pea and rosecombs are common amongst the cushion combed breeds. Breeders have to cull those birds every year, as all three comb types can crop up with cushion combed parents.

Last edited:
She's a Buff Chantecler. I bred the Partridge color variety for five years. It's a bit hard to mistake that face, once your used to it. lol. 

Most hatcheries breed seriously underweight birds, so her weight is actually pretty normal for a hatchery quality Chantecler. 

What does the other one look like? If it has a pea comb, or rosecomb as it's only difference, it is most likely a Buff Chantecler too.

The bred is supposed to be cushion combed. However, pea and rosecombs are common amongst the cushion combed breeds. Breeders have to cull those birds every year, as all three comb types can crop up with cushion combed parents.

Thank you. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what she is. The other one has a similar comb but is built a little differently and her coloring is more solid. She's half a pound lighter but looks bigger because of how thick her feathering is. She's in the picture with both of them together but here is one of her alone.

Thank you. I've been going crazy trying to figure out what she is. The other one has a similar comb but is built a little differently and her coloring is more solid. She's half a pound lighter but looks bigger because of how thick her feathering is. She's in the picture with both of them together but here is one of her alone.
This one is a buff Chantecler too.

Last edited:
Really? They look somewhat similar, but they're so different. I wouldn't think they'd be the same breed. Their only similarities are their heads.

Yes, it's a color project and hatcheries aren't concerned with the quality of their fowl when it comes to culling. Chanteclers have a lot of variation when hatched by breeders. When mass produced by hatcheries that can create an even greater gap between the similar features of the fowl.

Yes, it's a color project and hatcheries aren't concerned with the quality of their fowl when it comes to culling. Chanteclers have a lot of variation when hatched by breeders. When mass produced by hatcheries that can create an even greater gap between the similar features of the fowl.

Thank you so much for the information. I have been trying to figure out what they were for a while now. You have given me the most informed answer and I feel like I finally know what I have.

Back
Top Bottom