What breed is this rooster?

swedishflower2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
I have tried to identify his breed but his traits do not match any breed. He has a orange-red hackles, and his saddle and abdomen feathers are mahogany red. The base of his tail feathers are brown and the sickles are black. The tips of his wings are also black. I thought he was a New Hampshire Red rooster but his comb is not a single one but a beautiful rose comb. His legs are white and his nails are grayish. He is a strong, healthy and beautiful animal and appears to be very smart as when he pretends he is eating to get close to my cat to chase her. The cat knows better. He has attacked my sweet dog twice and myself twice already. I suspect he is a jungle fowl bird but not sure. Please help.

He looks like a mix.....he doesn't really fit into any breed in my mind at the moment.
He looks pretty big neat to the Brahma, so I don't think he's a Jungle Fowl.

He may very well be a mix but Rhode Island Reds can have rose combs as well as the single combs. How old is he?

Last edited:
Thank you for your input. At the time the picture was taken, about two weeks ago, the Light Brahmas were 16 weeks old. I suspected a mix too but during my research I found red jungle fowl in the "red quills" category that match my rooster's traits.

Back
Top Bottom