What breed is this??

blueberrysilky

Chirping
Jul 28, 2015
Archdale, NC
I bought some chicks at a local tractor supply, I was told they were Rhode Island Reds, 5 of them look that way, but one in particular is TOTALY different from the others, it isn't a rooster because there are 3 color patterns, the RIR roosters are all white at first.

This is an image of the RIR, ones a rooster and ones a pullet.

And here's the curve-ball we named Gurtrude since she is so easily kept up with. I belive tractor supply made a mistake and I can't wait to see what she is, do any of y'all know?

Thanks is advance!!

I think I see 5 toes, so I would guess poor quality salmon Faverolles. I am not sure it is a she, what color are the chest feathers?

On the chest there is a white patch in the middle, with brown on the left and right. I did notice the 5 toes too, I though it was maybe a mutation in the RIR.

I agree my first thought on that last bird was salmon Faverolles cockerel, with that coloring. But no feathered legs? Or beard? I'm thinking mixed breed, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

On your other birds, you're confusing Rhode Island Reds with red sex links. RIR are all a dark, mahogany red color, male and female. Red sex links (what you appear to have) are a one time cross where the sex is linked to the color of the bird. Females are red, males are silver.

I think you may be confusing Rhode Island Reds with red sexlinks. Your first photo above appears to show a male and female red sex link not RIRs. I really don't know what breed the chick in the second photo is (ie Gertrude) but I would agree that it is almost certainly a male with the comb and wattle development it has for such a young age and those big thick shanks..

I bought some chicks at a local tractor supply, I was told they were Rhode Island Reds, 5 of them look that way, but one in particular is TOTALY different from the others, it isn't a rooster because there are 3 color patterns, the RIR roosters are all white at first.

This is an image of the RIR, ones a rooster and ones a pullet.

And here's the curve-ball we named Gurtrude since she is so easily kept up with. I belive tractor supply made a mistake and I can't wait to see what she is, do any of y'all know?

Thanks is advance!!
First off, Rhode Island Reds are deep red, both the males and the females. I think you mean that red sexlink males, when you are refering to 'all white at first'. In the first picture posted, I see 2 Production Reds (not the deep red of a Rhode Island Red) and a Cornish X. The second picture is not of a Rhode Island Red. It looks more like one of the new hatchery cross breeds called 'Asian Black'. They've been showing up at TSC stores in the last few years. If you bought them all as Rhode Island Reds, you were misinformed. You can't rely on the employees to know which chicks are which, and TSC stores frequently get their breeds mixed up and sometimes even sell straight run chicks as sexed pullets.

Back
Top Bottom