what breed is this?

monkeybutter99

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
hi, can anyone tell me what breed this hen is? i know she’s a type of bantam but i can’t figure out exactly what she is. her name is fancy, she passed away in the beginning of february and i’ve been trying to figure out what breed she was. she was so sweet and adorable too. if it helps, her eggs were light tan colored. i included a few pictures of her below:
F768D421-5BE6-4F76-ABF3-0D144912011C.jpeg
9596E51E-EBB3-4CAB-861A-9EBC6ECD5E40.jpeg
966200BC-FD50-4BD2-AEFC-CD6C95D06BA5.jpeg

hi, can anyone tell me what breed this hen is? i know she’s a type of bantam but i can’t figure out exactly what she is. her name is fancy, she passed away in the beginning of february and i’ve been trying to figure out what breed she was. she was so sweet and adorable too. if it helps, her eggs were light tan colored. i included a few pictures of her below:
View attachment 3436835View attachment 3436836View attachment 3436837
Did you get her from a hatcehry or store? Or was she a mixed breed. She doesnt look like a recognisable breed to me but i may not know it.

Did you get her from a hatcehry or store? Or was she a mixed breed. She doesnt look like a recognisable breed to me but i may not know
i had a broody hen a while back but her eggs weren’t fertile, so a friend gave me two eggs from her hens. fancy hatched from one of the eggs, and i got a white (with a little light blonde-ish color) frizzle with tiny black specks out of the other egg. i believe she may have had some silkies and frizzles when she gave us the eggs.

i had a broody hen a while back but her eggs weren’t fertile, so a friend gave me two eggs from her hens. fancy hatched from one of the eggs, and i got a white (with a little light blonde-ish color) frizzle with tiny black specks out of the other egg. i believe she may have had some silkies and frizzles when she gave us the eggs.
I would say she’s a mix then.

With the single comb, beard, and feathered feet, she looks a lot like a d'Uccle bantam. Mille Fleur is a common color of d'Uccle, and they come in some other colors too, but I'm not sure if they ever come in the color of your hen.

She is likely a mixed breed, but maybe one of her parents was a d'Uccle of some color.

Here is a page with photos of many colors of d'Uccles:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Millies/BRKMilleFleur.html

Alright. Well shes a mix of some sort. Cant really help you but she was beautiful! Sorry for your loss

Do you know how many toes she had? Five would pretty much guarantee some Silkie. Four toes would lean her more toward d'Uccles. Either would give her the poofy chops and feathered feet. A bantam EE would temper the foot feathering into the smaller boots like hers. It would also account for the fuller "hood" on her neck, the tinted eggs and the nice single comb. Both d'Uccles and EE's have singles, while the Silkie's walnut comb would likely have twisted hers into some other unique shape.

You might try a bantam Easter Egger/Silkie or EE/d'Uccles cross - or maybe a mix of all three. Mixing is always a "surprise," but whatever you come up with would likely be very pretty and quite unique. Don't count too much on replicating Fancy's coloring, though. When you mix anything with an Easter Egger, the results come out like kittens from a tabby cat - every color of the animal rainbow, and THEN some. Then again, isn't that half the FUN?
EDIT to add info.

With the single comb, beard, and feathered feet, she looks a lot like a d'Uccle bantam. Mille Fleur is a common color of d'Uccle, and they come in some other colors too, but I'm not sure if they ever come in the color of your hen.

She is likely a mixed breed, but maybe one of her parents was a d'Uccle of some color.

Here is a page with photos of many colors of d'Uccles:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Millies/BRKMilleFleur.html
i was actually just thinking earlier that she looks a lot like a d’Uccle! the same friend who gave me the eggs that fancy and cloud (my white/kinda blond frizzle) hatched from recently gave me a d’Uccle bantam as well, and i can’t help but think about how she looks just like fancy did, but only with a completely different color. i’m not sure if she had d’Uccles’ when she gave me the eggs, but she does currently have a lot of that breed, so its definitely possible that one of her parents may have been a d’Uccle bantam.

Back
Top Bottom