What breed is this?

You sure like saying feral. Feral literally means existing in a WILD state.
i am 97% sure (dont dare to say 100%, since i cant prove it) this chicken comes from a lineage that hasn't dealt with people for a couple of generations.

Chickens usually dislike rain and it's not the best thing for them to be out in, but feral chickens are used to surviving in it because they are, well, feral. Breeds like Polish with big crests should not be out in the rain because their crest gets wet and the water gets in their eyes and ears, and could very easily cause infections.
I'm starting to wonder where you're getting your information?
I had polish for seven years, they were out in all kinds of weather and never had any of these issues. We get all four seasons here, with spring and fall being the wet seasons, down to single digits in the winter and on occasion up to triple digits in the summer.
Our humdity hardly ever gets below 65% and is often 80% or higher.

(ASIDE: Please stop hijacking the OP's thread to argue semantics - the OP is here to share thier joy in a new-found chicken friend and to learn a small bit about making their new friend more comfortable.)

@pokx3 , have you given your new friend a name yet? 😊😍
i havent named her, i dont want to jinx the flow 😟

i havent named her, i dont want to jinx the flow 😟
From my perspective she is a valuable hen and she could be an excellent start to a line of self sufficient chickens. If it's possible, find a rooster with oriental influence and raise some super self sufficient chickens.

From my perspective she is a valuable hen and she could be an excellent start to a line of self sufficient chickens. If it's possible, find a rooster with oriental influence and raise some super self sufficient chickens.
like we've talked before...some said maybe its not a good idea.

What would you suggest? A young rooster? Real young? Old?
When you say "oriental" , you mean another one of her kind or a complete different race?

like we've talked before...some said maybe its not a good idea.

What would you suggest? A young rooster? Real young? Old?
When you say "oriental" , you mean another one of her kind or a complete different race?
A mature rooster two to three years old would tend to be less aggressive in mating with her, or a very young rooster that she can dominate until she wants to be bred by him.
Oriental type would be in the line of asil cross etc. . . If you are thinking of eating the offspring as a landrace type the oriental infusion would give you more bulk.
If you want them, just because they're pretty, get something that's close to her in type. She probably flies quite well, the oriental types when pure, don't, but the crosses would likely fly well.
If you're wanting egg producing types get a rooster with those genetics.
You could go in about any direction you want to as she seems to be quite the versatile hen.

Back
Top Bottom