What breed of chicken is this?

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Last spring I hatched 2 chickens out of my neighbors chickens, wanted to get more of a variety. Out of 3 smallish eggs, 2 chickens hatched. They were yellow. To this day I am not sure exactly what they are, because my neighbor had lots of different breeds of chickens, so they are definately mixed. A silkie hen was sitting on the eggs when I gathered them. The types of chickens my neighbor has are silkies, barred rocks, a gold phoenix, aracauna, orpingtons, cochins and I think thats it. I was told they look like silkie-araucanas. I know that they definately have silkie in them, because their feathers are a lot different. Theyre big though. The rooster is really big. Whats your opinions?
chicken.jpg

Heres the rooster when he was a lot younger.
mix.jpg

Heres the rooster and the hen, with a young RIR in the back

I have no idea what they could be, but silkie have walnut combs and araucana have pea combs and the birds have neither of those, so I doubt that is the cross.

What color are their orps and cochins?

Jody

I can tell you they have zero silkie characteristics. No dark skin, no head poofs, bright yellow legs, no feathers on legs, and no big silkie eyes. They also have the recessive single comb. My guess would be orp rock mix. Slightly leghorny with that white body and yellow legs on the roo, but are heavy set like rocks. If they had been barred rock hen eggs, the roo would have been barred I belive. I suspect the parents have either single comb recessive or single comb genes. The hen is a bit poofy so maybe she has some cochin in her. My first generation cochin crosses all have leg feathering though.

Back
Top Bottom